Pregnancy and retinopathy???

kellyrae

Hi, Just after a bit of advice which I don't seem to be getting much at the hospital.......I have had type 1 for 25 years, and in 2010 i had my first lot of laser treatment for retinopathy.....I had the laser treatment after having my daughter as they didnt want to do it whilst being pregnant.

After the laser and having kept a close check on my eyes (every 3 months) they say I have developed more blood vessels but its not getting any worse over the past 9 months so they dont want to do any more laser unless it does at the moment.

But me and my husband want to try for another baby after xmas.....I'm just worried that being pregnant may put more pressure on my eyes.

I have told them at the eye clinic and they don't seem that concerned and just said that i would probably have to have another c-section (not a problem to me) and to inform them if i do become pregnant.

Has anyone else had problems from this, i am happy with my little girl of course and if i thought that having another would seriously damage my eyes then having another would not be an option as i want to see my daughter grow up!!!

Can anyone shed anymore light to this for me?

C

catherinecherub

I'll bump your post up in the hope that someone will be able to help with your questions.

ShyGirl

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi there. I developed proliferative retinopathy when pregnant with my first, had two sessions of laser at 36 weeks, went on to have a healthy boy by c section. I was planning to get pregnant again this year but my eyes had other ideas when the PDR came back with a vengeance, I've had to have a lot more laser but have been told I should be able to get pregnant again once the laser takes effect.
I don't know your situation but in my case the retinopathy was brought on by a rapid decrease in my hba1c when I found out I was expecting, as I hadn't planned it, combined with the ole pregnany hormones.
Apparantly if the retinopathy has been treated and is stable the chance of it flaring up again in a subsequent pregnancy is low. But if it active I wouldn't risk it.
Personally I am planning to have another child as soon as it is stable.
Feel free to pm me if you want more info.