Pregnancy help!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone! After some advice and figured this would be the best place!

I've been type 1 for 18 years and up until 2-3 years ago I've been in denial, never tested and eaten what I wanted. Never been admitted to hospital and always taken injections on time. I'm also not overweight and no other problems or medication, (except contraceptive pill).

Last August I was introduced onto the basal/bolus regime which is 100% better than the 2 injections I was taking but my sugar levels are still (although a lot better) crazy and mostly high, rarely in hypo but I have my awareness still.

Sorry to ramble, I'm not pregnant or planning to be any time soon but my boyfriend and I have been speaking about it but I was wondering if there are any tests the docs can do to see if my uncontrolled sugar levels have caused any damage which may make conception hard and if so what can I do to rectify? Thanks in advance :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey I'm probably not the best person to answer this question . But could probably help a little bit .
A current hba1c will help you to know where you stand now , and it's brilliant that you are thinking very in advance so it gives baby best chances . I am going to be trying very very soon with my partner . I have been type 1 for 15 years .

Getting your eyes checked annually and more if needed to .
Then going to see your Dsn every 6 months , as that way you get your hba1c every 6 months . And they also send you for blood test which is like a mini body mot where you get all your kidneys checked liver function ect ect . Have you regularly been attending theses appointments ?

They say to have a hba1c of under 7% before trying to get pregnant .

Sorry I'm not much help , and hopefully others will be along too to advise you better .

Take care .
:):):)

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey thanks! Yeah I attend all my appointments and retinopathy tomorrow lol.

I'm not sure of the percentages but my last hba1c was at 87, so still very high! Believe it or not tho I was actually really pleased as the time before that it was 97!

Well best of luck to you and your boyfriend :) xx

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh good luck for your retinopathy appointment tommorow that is brilliant that you go to all your appointments ect .
As I'm pretty sure if you had done any damage inside ect would come up through your blood tests . I don't think there is a specific test that will show you the answer to your question . But I may be wrong .
But I know with the bloods I get sent for every 6 months everything will get thoughly checked . And if something isn't quiet working right inside it will flag up then the Dsn would let me know .
You could also ask to have them printed off or maybe you do that already too . So that way you could see yourself too .
I'm sorry I'm not much help haha . Maybe others will be able to answer your question better than I can lol .

Oh opps my bad I can't get used to the new way I think 7.0 % on the conversion table shows 53 .
Yes it may still be high but look at the postive you have done sooo well to bring it down and hopefully it keeps going that way for you , for when your ready for the next step . Well done with your hba1c so far hehe . :).

His my fiancé now oooo lol sounds as if I'm showing off I'm not lol !! :oops:
But thank you so much, very kind

:):):) x

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No you've been lots of help so thank you very much! Like I said though we're not planning anything for the time being but it's just nice to be aware for when we're ready!

Ahh ok I see! I can't get used to the conversions either lol.

Haha wooo fiancé! ;)

Thanks again, take care :) x

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always best to be prepared and have a little bit of knowledge for whenever the time is right .

I know it gets me all messed up , I'm forever converting the numbers to try and understand them haha . :facepalm:

Very welcome :) You too , take care

X

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chloe congrats on the engagement! When are you planning on getting married?
Jess x

Reactions: 3 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chloe congrats on the engagement! When are you planning on getting married?
Jess x

Awr thank you jess :) .

Well we've been engaged a little while now he proposed December 2012 . I knew I'd like a bit of a longer engagement like not rush to get wed . I like being called 'fiancée' lol !! :p
And always spoken about having a family , so with how my hba1c is and we've been given the go ahead , we're going to focus on creating a healthy little baby . and then go from there really . As having the good hba1c is very important as everyone knows . So yes we're doing things a bit backwards I guess :confused:. But we both know I'm at a very healthy stage to start trying so yeah haha.

We decided to wait for a while and have one more hba1c , so I should hopefully get that this week and if it's good full steam ahead
Haha

:p:p:p

x