Pregnancy

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am thinking about children in the future - possibly in a year and a half/two years but I'm just worried about how my blood sugars could potentially affect the baby. I know your sugars need to be in a certain range but what would happen if j suffer from highs or lows? I know it's a while away but I'd like to know all my options and facts before I start planning a pregnancy! Thank you!

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm a 25 year old type 1 I forgot to add!

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also in the pre pregnancy planning stage so I can certainly pass on what I've been told.

You are correct that high sugar levels during pregnancy are something we want to avoid, as this can lead to large babies, as well as being bad for you as the mother. My DSN advised me that I should aim for an HbA1C of less than 7% for two tests in a row before attempting conception. You will also need a double dose of folic acid which you can get on prescription when the time comes.

I would advise talking to your DSN at your next clinic appointment that you are considering this in the next few years - as if you need to get your HbA1C result down it could take some time. Having a low HbA1C result is also good for you anyway so it makes sense to get this under control well in advance.

mdsremos

Hi, don't know if the levels will be he same but I have been diagnosed gestational diabetes and insulin controlled since Xmas eve (am now 14 weeks pregnant.
I have weekly apts with the DSN at the moment, have to keep my pre-meal to less than 6mmol and less than 7.8 post meals. I am using Novarapid initially 2 units before each meal but has slowly increased every few days and today increased to 5 units as my hormones are strong and affecting my insulin resistance. I will also be starting a slow release insulin shortly as my morning levels are starting to increase.
I will be closely monitored and have lots of extra growth scans to check the size of the baby plus will be delivered either 38 or 39 weeks at the most, am having a cesarean as my last pregnancy was also gestational diabetes and breech presentation.