Pregnant and eye problems

andreabow0101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Im approx 7 weeks pregnant, been type 1 for 30 years. I have a detaching retina in one eye and need surgery to reattach very soon. In my other eye, i need a lucentis injection, again, very soon. The problem is now that im pregnant, the dr doesnt think i can have either treatment and my choice was to terminate or lose more vision (im losing it very rapidly) Has anyone ever had any of these procedures done while pregnant? He doesnt want to give a general anaesthetic as theres risk to the baby, and under a local, he said its quite a horrific op and my body would be so stressed, also causing risk to the baby. The lucentis has never been tested on pregnant women. Im totally lost as to what to do. Ive suffered 3 miscarriages over the last 4 yrs, so this baby is so very wanted. Feel devastated and need to find out as much info as i can about this, but any personal stories would help me so much. Thankyou

C

catherinecherub

Hi Andrea,

I am bumping your post up in the hope that someone will answer.

I am unable to give you any help but would like to say that I feel for you, what a dreadful situation.

I have pm'd a forum member who may be able to help.

Take care,

CC.

PS. You have to make 5 posts before you can use the pm system.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi

I am the forum member who Catherine Cherub has referred to. I am very sorry to hear of what you are going through.
I'm not sure how similar my experience will be, but I'll tell it nonetheless. I developed PDR towards the end of my first pregnancy, at that stage it was not so bad and they did a bit of laser. about a year later my other eye 'went mad' and got quite serious proliferative disease. I had just started trying for a baby, literally just had my contraception removed and I was not due to be seen at the eye hospital for a while but fate must have intervened as I broke my glasses a few days later and when I saw the opticians he looked in my eyes and said to get it checked out asap so I knew it was bad. They said not to try for a baby until it had stabilised, I had a lot of laser and then some bad bleeds, and ended up having a vitrectomy and avastin injections.
I wasn't sure whether it would be safe to try for another baby or not, and no one could give me a straight answer, so I ended up forking out to see the top consultant in my part of the country privately and he said if I had more laser I should be ok. I then got pregnant a few months later and was ok until quite late in the pregnancy (36 weeks) when I had a bleed in the other eye which has cleared a lot now but I need to have some more laser. I'm really hoping that will sort it but I've been told I will be at risk of bleeding for the rest of my life as once you grow the new vessels they can always bleed even when you've been lasered.
When I had my vitrectomy it was under local anaesthetic/ sedation, and whilst not exactly pleasant it wasn't sooo terrible. I was fully conscious throughout and could see them fiddling around in my eyeball which was not scary but more just really interesting to watch (!). So I wouldn't agree that the op will completely stress you out if you have it done under a local. I dont' know if you will be able to have sedation if pregnant but that could be an option rather than a general. The hardest thing in my vitrectomy was having to lie still for 2 hours. They put your head in this kind of bowl thing but it got a bit uncomfortable after an hour, no problem I just told the surgeon and he let me have a wriggle. But if that was the worst thing, what I'm trying to say is, the actual op itself was not so bad!
As far as the lucentis goes, this is an anti-growth hormone drug so I would imagine it is not safe to use in pregnancy.

Its a real dilemma for you, I guess if you continue with the pregnancy and lose more sight you may not be able to get it back but I can imagine it will break your heart to terminate a healthy foetus after trying for so long. Would you be able to try again after your eyes have stabilised or would the threat of further retinopathy put you off that? I know I was reluctant to try for my second child but although I've had a bleed I've been told that the laser I had protected me a lot and that I haven't had new vessels growing in the pregnancy, the bleed was caused by old vessels from a couple of years ago breaking. I won't be having any more kids now though.

So I've not acutally had these procedure whilst pregnant but have had both of them outside of pregnancy, so hope that my story can be of some use.

I really feel for you going through this and hope you can come to a decision as to what to do.

I know when I had my first bleed I was not happy with the advice I got on the NHS and I paid for a private consultation with someone really good (I also did this to make the decision whether to try for a second baby) so if this an option for you it may help you to make this important decision. I've found that HCPs can be reluctant to advise you on the risk of something particularly if it involves telling you to have/not have a baby so sometimes you have to pay for the advice you need.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you like (you may need to make some more posts first though)

andreabow0101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you both so much for your replies,

I still have no idea whats happening with me, im so confused. The consultant will be phoning on monday or tuesday, so ive now got some idea of questions to ask. I could tolerate the op under a local, with sedation, i think... I know some pregnant women need general anaesthetics for urgent op's, so there must be 'safer' drugs to use - ive read that nitrous oxide is dangerous in pregnancy, so some trials must have taken place. Im also wondering if there would be any difference between the lucentis and avastin, if one is safer than the other... Maybe they can laser me until i have the baby, to try and prevent further damage. So many questions, and no one to answer them!! Will be a long weekend....
Im also looking at the private side of things...

Thank you again for your replies and good wishes
Andrea xx

the_anticarb

Dislikes
lucentis and avastin are the same thing - avastin is not licensed for use in retinopathy (but is available privately, off licence) but they are exactly the same drug. It is meant to counteract growth hormones so I would have thought it would really not be a good idea to take it in pregnancy.

I reckon you could definitely tolerate the op under local with sedation - I did! The (private) hospital I had it at did not have the facilities for a general so it was only ever done under local there. They did all sorts of things to my retina and I didn't find it freaky. Your eye is completely immobile from the anaesthetic and you can't feel any pain so you just have to lie back and let them do it. I did actually find it really interesting that I could see them working away on my retina (not like you can shut your eye!) maybe I'm just weird. I would have it under local again rather than general if I needed another one.

I think if you are confused as to your options it would be a good idea to see someone privately to discuss your options (if you don't feel your questions have been answered by your NHS doc). Be aware that retinopathy is not a very well understood disease, as it seems to affect everyone differently, so I have found in the past that different doctors can have quite different views. But if you see someone very experienced, I'd imagine they would need to be a vitreo-retinal surgeon, then that may get you some answers. I know how hard it can be to make a decision based on what may happen, although not in exactly the same position as you I was very unsure whether to get pregnant again and had to speak to several doctors before I got the information I needed.

Really hope you can find a way to keep your baby and your sight - let us know how you get on.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
OP are you still following this thread? Hoping you found a way to make a decision, it sure is a tough one, what did the doctor say?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Andrea .

If you post 5 or more posts you will have full access to both read and send PM's
[personal messages]

Do let us all know how things go for you and the baby too and what your doctor says/suggests .

Some great posts of help, concern and support for you here :thumbup:

Anna.