Pregnant and need clarification

saretta

Hello all,

I'm a type 1 1/2, and currently 8 weeks pregnant. Before getting pregnant I had good control, my A1C has been at about 5.1% for years, and never struggled with keeping my numbers in the 4's and low5's. now that I'm pregnant things have changed somewhat and despite an increase in insulin i have readings in the 6's, and often go too low when I correct them. I'm on rapid acting insulin, 3x a day, and a low carb version on the paleo diet. I read on this forum of women who manage to keep their bg in the 3's during their pregnancy and i'm worried because I can't seem to go lower than 4.5 without feeling like a hole has been punched in my stomach and I have to eat. If I hit 4 i start feeling hypo. So- what's healthy??? How much damage am I doing with postprandial readings above 5? My endo seems to think i'm doing fine, but the guidelines are so relaxed and I don't know what to trust.

s230787

Hello, I'm type 1 currently 26 weeks and its so difficult knowing what's what when it comes to keeping yourself and baby healthy.

I was told to keep readings below 7.8 1 hour after eating. My sugars average between 4-6 and I've been told baby is currently just under the average size for a baby at this stage in pregnancy and that I am doing very well. (I hope Baby stays average too for when it gets round to delivery, plus my family seen to have circa 6lb'ers). I was told that running blood sugars too low are not really beneficial to anyone and are actually more of a hazard due to hypos (driving, risk of falling over etc) - but I have heard some people say their doc wants them to run at 3-4mmol all the time??!

Sounds like you are doing great at the moment but don't be surprised if your requirements go up, I'm now on metformin as well as insulin due to requiring 140ish rapid and 40 lantus units a day!!

Are you taking the higher dose of folic acid? Make sure you ask about aspirin at 12 weeks too for pre eclampsia as I wasn't told I needed it until 17 weeks :(

Keep up the good work and enjoy your little bump, soon enough you'll be enjoying waddling around like me haha

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

saretta

Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better. I'm only taking 4.5 units of rapid before each meal, plus 1 unit for adjustments if needed, but no way i could keep my bg in the 3's. i have't heard anything about aspirin! I'll look into it thanks for the heads up

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello saretta,
In your pregnancy you need to take care in all the possible manner and good luck...

frowl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm type 1 and currently 29 weeks pregnant. I've tried very hard with blood sugars but as my pregnancy progresses my early mornings are high. Usually around 12. My doctor isn't worried as this is to be expected due to the pregnancy hormones resisting insulin. Although I was worried my scan this week showed perfectly healthy normal size baby. The doctor always told me to aim below 7.8. Just to give an example, at the start of my pregnancy I was taking 60 units of levermir overnight, I'm now taking 80! And I carb count, I was taking 4 units of nova rapid per 10 g carbs, I'm now taking 9 units per 10 in a morn. So really does effect things as you get further on. You should be taking aspirin. Hope that is of some help. Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App