Pregnant - ketones

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
MY daughter-in-law Louise is 6 months pregnant with her second. Yesterday her nurse found ketones in her urine, which was attributed by the nurse to not eating enough carb. Her diet does not resemble reduced carb - plenty of bread & cereals! I didn't fuss, 'cos we were only there Friday/Sat. I did take my own "porridge" mix.

She is not diabetic - BS OK.

She has a very thick book - "What to expect when you are expecting" which has no ref to ketones, & has searched the internet & not found any advice. She wasn't prescribed any test sticks.

Is it a problem? Should she be worried?

lilibet

I've had ketones, but bg fine

Mentioned it to Doc and was told that starvation (even not eating overnight )is enough, ketones apparently quite common in morning urine according to endo, its just that many diabetics dont test until bg is higher so dont really see this.

Reduced carbs will give you some but are nowt to worry about - dietary ketosis, as opposed to DKA (obv if not diabetic then def not DKA).

Dehydration also a reason for ketones

If Nurse not worried, and daughter feels fine, likely things are ok I would think

Katharine

It is quite usual for pregnant women to have ketones in the urine first thing. There is nothing to worry about.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Thank you for the response. I hope she will be reassured. She was trying to increase carb consumption.

They have a lovely little girl who will be 3 just before the new baby is due.

Attachments

• Naomi  012.jpg
    Naomi 012.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 555

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
sugarless sue said:
That's a lovely photo of both of you ,Ian.

I can't get it small enough to fit the screen. She is as sweet as she looks.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Edit in paintshop if you have it.take it down to 640x 4?? pixels ,that will fit.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
What a cutie!! I love littlies with blonde hair. My granddaughter Amelie is a blondie!