Prescription Issues

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm totally fizzing about my GP surgery and my prescriptions.

I went to the hospital on Friday for my pre-pump meeting. When I was there I given a letter to give to my GP to get items added to my repeat prescription list.

They have now been put on but all my current stuff has been removed. Evidently they reckon I can survive for the next 3 weeks without insulin, testing strips, lancets and needles.

I seem to always have to chase them about things and it is always like jumping through hoops. Diabetes is difficult enough without having to keep a constant check on these things.

I was also prescribed som kind of barrier spray for when inserting the cannula yet according to the surgery this is not put on your repeat, but the hospital say it should be.

Anyway rant over. :banghead:

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, don't - exactly the same story when I switched to pump in February. Aaaarrrgggghhhh!

Ended up having to waste an appointment with a doctor, just so they could physically sit there and tap away at the computer and sort it out. I feel your pain!

What's the deal with barrier cream BTW? I've never heard of it?

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, don't - exactly the same story when I switched to pump in February. Aaaarrrgggghhhh!

Ended up having to waste an appointment with a doctor, just so they could physically sit there and tap away at the computer and sort it out. I feel your pain!

What's the deal with barrier cream BTW? I've never heard of it?

They don't seem to realise I'll need an injectable form of insulin after I go on the pump either.

Not sure what the deal with the cream is, the hospital said something about putting it on your skin before inserting the cannula. Prevents irritation apparently.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Most annoying, try ringing the gp surgery and ask to speak with the practice manager, either that or get your hospital DSN/consultant to email them to rectify the mistake.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most annoying, try ringing the gp surgery and ask to speak with the practice manager, either that or get your hospital DSN/consultant to email them to rectify the mistake.

My Mum works there so usually go through her.

Have sent a very long winded email to them so hopefully that will resolve the situation. I'm away on holiday in a weeks time and might need to order some of my regular stuff before then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Argh sounds stressful. When I've had a problem I ask for a telephone appointment with the GP. You might need to walk them through it -
After all, it's not like they've been to medical school or anything :banghead:

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
In some Practices they have a Prescription Clerk... Who will make amendments.

I think you are actually being quite hard on GP's and their staff. Under normal circumstances a change of insulin will mean one being replaced by another, and one being removed of the script.

My advice for going on to a pump would be to make an appt to speak to the DSN at your practice.

You will be, (more than likely) the only patient they will have that is on a pump? So how can the Practice staff really be knowledgeable on what you need in addition if your consultant doesn't tell them... Ie a back up pen and insulin.

The back up pen and insulin does not need to be kept on repeat prescription, as that is really down to the Patient to request it when it is necessary ie it's shelf life in fridge is due to expire.

GP's are general practitioners. I think you are expecting a lot too much if you expect them to know of every need and requirement for 1 patient or very few patients in their practice who have a pump...

As the Patient with a pump you should be proud to go in and sit with your GP or DSN and explain what is necessary to them. You would make it a lot easier for any other pump user in the future.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My hospital have never stated to have any barrier spray. If it isn't a nice approved product or if it has been red maked by your CCG, it will not be prescribed by the NHS. It may well be possible for a private prescription to be paid for by you. Honestly I don't know what barrier spray they have noted down, but 4+ years in to pumping I never use anything like that. I buy my own bio oil or coconut oil to keep my skin healthy but nothing else.

iHs

Wonder if its Cavilon spray? I think you can buy it and it might be available on prescription. Ive not needed it but then again, I havent got sensitive skin

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In some Practices they have a Prescription Clerk... Who will make amendments.

I think you are actually being quite hard on GP's and their staff. Under normal circumstances a change of insulin will mean one being replaced by another, and one being removed of the script.

My advice for going on to a pump would be to make an appt to speak to the DSN at your practice.

You will be, (more than likely) the only patient they will have that is on a pump? So how can the Practice staff really be knowledgeable on what you need in addition if your consultant doesn't tell them... Ie a back up pen and insulin.

The back up pen and insulin does not need to be kept on repeat prescription, as that is really down to the Patient to request it when it is necessary ie it's shelf life in fridge is due to expire.

GP's are general practitioners. I think you are expecting a lot too much if you expect them to know of every need and requirement for 1 patient or very few patients in their practice who have a pump...

As the Patient with a pump you should be proud to go in and sit with your GP or DSN and explain what is necessary to them. You would make it a lot easier for any other pump user in the future.

Yes I believe this is how it works at my practice.

There is no dedicated DSN at my practice, everything is done through the hospital clinic.

I have sent them an email so hopefully it will get sorted. Some of the things will only need to stay on for a few weeks then I will probably not need them.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wonder if its Cavilon spray? I think you can buy it and it might be available on prescription. Ive not needed it but then again, I havent got sensitive skin

I use Cavilon spray as I developed after my first couple of weeks on the pump a sore red itchy broken rash from the adhesive with the cannula. It's great stuff, no more sore rash.

To the OP if you can't get the Cavilon (or whatever one it is you've been recommended) you can buy, I tend to buy mine from Boots for around £12, it lasts about 2 months.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I believe this is how it works at my practice.

There is no dedicated DSN at my practice, everything is done through the hospital clinic.

I have sent them an email so hopefully it will get sorted. Some of the things will only need to stay on for a few weeks then I will probably not need them.

Email is very good... As it is in writing and they will scan the letter and put it to you computer file as well.

In your case the GP or Prescription Clerk will update your files.

Gp's are actually unaware that pumps can suffer any problems... They are not aware of their funtionality or actual workings at all. Least of all that they can fail occasionally. It's not the GP's or the staff 's fault.

Since reading these posts though I have decided to speak to my Practice Manager to see if I can do a training session with our 6 GP's and our nurses. I know we now have a child on a pump as well in our Practice so it will be good education and the Practice does close one afternoon a month for training..

Reactions: 5 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Cavilon spray as I developed after my first couple of weeks on the pump a sore red itchy broken rash from the adhesive with the cannula. It's great stuff, no more sore rash.

To the OP if you can't get the Cavilon (or whatever one it is you've been recommended) you can buy, I tend to buy mine from Boots for around £12, it lasts about 2 months.

Not really sure why they want me to have it. Maybe they just feel people have needed it. Not too concerned if it doesn't get prescribed since it seems most folk don't use it.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Email is very good... As it is in writing and they will scan the letter and put it to you computer file as well.

In your case the GP or Prescription Clerk will update your files.

Gp's are actually unaware that pumps can suffer any problems... They are not aware of their funtionality or actual workings at all. Least of all that they can fail occasionally. It's not the GP's or the staff 's fault.

Since reading these posts though I have decided to speak to my Practice Manager to see if I can do a training session with our 6 GP's and our nurses. I know we now have a child on a pump as well in our Practice so it will be good education and the Practice does close one afternoon a month for training..
Your very pro-active @donnellysdogs and always seem to be looking at ways to spread the word.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Your very pro-active @donnellysdogs and always seem to be looking at ways to spread the word.

I am a little bit. Our GP was CQC inspected last week, and as Chairperson of the PPG and representing 10000 patients I was asked to attend. My neighbour (who has had horrific cancer in neck) last week said "i hope they pay you or reimburse you". I said no.
His response was basically "*** you are off your head!
However, I just see that I have had 30 years of exceptionally good nhs care with my diabetes, so if I can't do things for the NHS and my practice and patients then its a poor **** show.

Lots of people get involved with trials etc to benefit diabetics in the future. Lots of other people do voluntary work. I just get on well with my health professionals and want to give something back.

Criticism is really easy to give towards the NHS, but actually turning negatives in to positives and trying to help is much more satisfying.

Next year, every single GP Practice in England must have a PPG and prove that they are listening to Patients. So this will effectively be a listening action for them to take....

The GP's at my practice were trained years ago in diabetes, they cannot possibly be experts in every illness, every medication and writing out a perfect prescription etc for a pump that they will never have seen or know anything about.

Thats like me being trained as an astronaut 10 years previously at least and being expected to go and hop into a space rocket and flying to the moon without any further training.

I think Patients forget that most GP's will not have anything to do with your diabetes at all once you have a pump. 3 out of my 3 different practices and their GP's in 4 years readily admit they know nothing and literally wait for me to tell them what I need.

Hope all goes well for you on your pump btw...

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a little bit. Our GP was CQC inspected last week, and as Chairperson of the PPG and representing 10000 patients I was asked to attend. My neighbour (who has had horrific cancer in neck) last week said "i hope they pay you or reimburse you". I said no.
His response was basically "*** you are off your head!
However, I just see that I have had 30 years of exceptionally good nhs care with my diabetes, so if I can't do things for the NHS and my practice and patients then its a poor **** show.

Lots of people get involved with trials etc to benefit diabetics in the future. Lots of other people do voluntary work. I just get on well with my health professionals and want to give something back.

Criticism is really easy to give towards the NHS, but actually turning negatives in to positives and trying to help is much more satisfying.

Next year, every single GP Practice in England must have a PPG and prove that they are listening to Patients. So this will effectively be a listening action for them to take....

The GP's at my practice were trained years ago in diabetes, they cannot possibly be experts in every illness, every medication and writing out a perfect prescription etc for a pump that they will never have seen or know anything about.

Thats like me being trained as an astronaut 10 years previously at least and being expected to go and hop into a space rocket and flying to the moon without any further training.

I think Patients forget that most GP's will not have anything to do with your diabetes at all once you have a pump. 3 out of my 3 different practices and their GP's in 4 years readily admit they know nothing and literally wait for me to tell them what I need.

Hope all goes well for you on your pump btw...

Yes I am generally pretty positive of the NHS and is one of the reasons I voted the way I did in the referendum last month. I was just a bit on the frustrated side yesterday.

Just realised that my practice has a patient advisory group also. Unfortunately their meetings are at lunchtimes rather than evenings so I wouldn't be able to make it along but may look at it in the future.

I'm hoping the pump goes well too. Just a bit aprehensive about it at present but just wanting to get on with it and start putting the hard work in to get it right.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I am generally pretty positive of the NHS and is one of the reasons I voted the way I did in the referendum last month. I was just a bit on the frustrated side yesterday.

Just realised that my practice has a patient advisory group also. Unfortunately their meetings are at lunchtimes rather than evenings so I wouldn't be able to make it along but may look at it in the future.

I'm hoping the pump goes well too. Just a bit aprehensive about it at present but just wanting to get on with it and start putting the hard work in to get it right.

Shame about Patient Group being lunchtimes. Our practice suggested lunchtimes, but Patients wanted an evening get together.. So that younger people could be encouraged to join up. Unfortunately the youngest people we have been able to get joined up so far is 45!! I guess its mainly elederly people as they have more time and more use of the NHS to get interested in the NHS.
It definitely needs younger people for their views.

When are you getting your pump?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Shame about Patient Group being lunchtimes. Our practice suggested lunchtimes, but Patients wanted an evening get together.. So that younger people could be encouraged to join up. Unfortunately the youngest people we have been able to get joined up so far is 45!! I guess its mainly elederly people as they have more time and more use of the NHS to get interested in the NHS.
It definitely needs younger people for their views.

When are you getting your pump?

Yes it would have been good if it was in the evenings.

Prescription all sorted out now.

I go on a saline start on 13th November and have insulin from 17th November.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes it would have been good if it was in the evenings.

Prescription all sorted out now.

I go on a saline start on 13th November and have insulin from 17th November.

Good you got prescription sorted.
Also good with the days you have.. So you will have weekend by yourself with saline, but go live on a Monday so you got 5 days to contact them if needed.
I went straight to live but also had a brilliant lot of help with daily phonecalls from a fellow pump user from this forum. Blimey... Well over 4 years now!! Remember it like yesterday. It is a day and first week that you will never forget...

Have you got a choice of sets to try as well when you start up or are they going to put you on a specific one to start off?

Not long for you now.. Really pleased for you..