Prescriptions and supplies – the festive period – Heads Up!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know we’re still a couple of weeks adrift from the big day, but for those on medication and/or consumables, of any sort, please be mindful of the holiday period and the impact that could have on sorting out repeat prescriptions and having them filled.

My local pharmacy closes 25th (Tuesday) and 26th (Wednesday) December, so one way or another that's quite a chunk out of that week

Additionally, for those taking medications where the dose varies, day to day, please do ensure you factor in the reality that you may need more, due to disrupted routines, sleeping and eating patterns.

I hope Santa brings you what you wish for. Enjoy!

D

Deleted member 308541

A bump to the top of the ladder for @DCUKMod,

You can bet your wages that there will be someone that will have a "Help me I do not have any <<<insert name here>>> of whatever is needed over xmas again. :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bump to the top of the ladder for @DCUKMod,

You can bet your wages that there will be someone that will have a "Help me I do not have any <<<insert name here>>> of whatever is needed over xmas again. :D

Isn't that the law, Tipetoo? However, if we can try a reminder, it might help someone.

Reactions: dmckatana

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually plan to have at least 2 weeks buffer supplies of prescription meds in hand when I request my next prescription. Just as well, as last week the pharmacist had been unable to get one item due to national shortage. As it is essential for me I would have been in trouble without my reserve.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got two months supply of everything this week so that’ll take me well passed the New Year :angelic:

Reactions: kitedoc
D

Deleted member 308541

Isn't that the law, Tipetoo? However, if we can try a reminder, it might help someone.
Dunno about the law bit.

I have a full supply of my medications at all times, on top of what I am using.
As it is essential for me I would have been in trouble without my reserve.
All diabetics should have a reserve to cover public holidays etc.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Trouble is many docs won't prescribe "early" to let people build such a buffer. So people are living script to script.
My e-system tells me when I "should" reorder, which is quite often way after I have to as 100 needles won't last a month even without corrections... So how I'd ever build up 2 months worth of needes is beyond me.

D

Deleted member 308541

Trouble is many docs won't prescribe "early" to let people build such a buffer. So people are living script to script.
My e-system tells me when I "should" reorder, which is quite often way after I have to as 100 needles won't last a month even without corrections... So how I'd ever build up 2 months worth of needles is beyond me.
My GP gives one original script plus five repeats, I can get a repeat scripts filled after twenty days, so after a period of time I have built up a extra supply which is rotated out with new stuff.

As for your needles, I would think about buying the extra yourself.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My GP gives one original script plus five repeats, I can get a repeat scripts filled after twenty days, so after a period of time I have built up a extra supply which is rotated out with new stuff.

As for your needles, I would think about buying the extra yourself.
In theory, I already do buy them with the tax I pay...

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
D

Deleted member 308541

I still pay taxes as well, and have to buy certain medical supplies out of my own pocket.

Here's the old NDSS order form for needles / syringes, but you can get them over the counter once you are a member of the NDSS. You would soon have extra needles with our system by going back into the pharmacy in a couple of days again.

https://static.diabetesaustralia.co...alia/0f358e8a-06a9-4a66-a951-9f13092a8705.pdf

D

Deleted Account

All diabetics should have a reserve to cover public holidays etc.
Everyone on medication should have spares at all time to manage public holidays, bad weather, fuel strikes, supply problems, Brex..., etc.

It's great to have the reminder this time of year but not just for Christmas.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL Diabetes is for life, not just for Christmas................!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Diakat, I agree with you. There is a big difference between having to buy provisions out of your own pocket (because you are not entitled to them on the NHS) and buying them in order to build up an advance supply. I would not buy my own needles, I would hassle my GP until I had the amount I needed, when I needed them.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I buy extra strips form amazon, needles they keep send me boxs of them with repeat prescription i have a stock pile of the things now even I keep tell them I do not need any more yet arghhhh the things i do need ie medication they cut down grrrr

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
D

Deleted member 308541

Be sure to read the first post, to avoid disappointment over the holidays.

Bump-Sign.jpg

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How are people managing to order early? I can only order 28 days after the last prescription, and have 28 days worth prescribed. Most of my prescriptions I started on the day I got the first prescription so I rarely have any spare, more often run out before the next prescription is ready. My next prescription will be due 26-28th December ish, when I’ll be on holiday, but the system won’t let me order early as it’s not due yet... when I’ve tried a custom order with a note explaining why before it’s been declined.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are people managing to order early? I can only order 28 days after the last prescription, and have 28 days worth prescribed. Most of my prescriptions I started on the day I got the first prescription so I rarely have any spare, more often run out before the next prescription is ready. My next prescription will be due 26-28th December ish, when I’ll be on holiday, but the system won’t let me order early as it’s not due yet... when I’ve tried a custom order with a note explaining why before it’s been declined.

Hello Edan - The process used at my surgery is to allow ordering of 28 days supplies at one go, but I can order after 21 days. As I am new to taking any medication of any sort (for my thyroid) I literally order every 21 days, in order to build a little buffer. I can next order on the 26th of December.

My ordering system also has the option to make a special request (see below):

upload_2018-12-11_20-50-15.png

Were I to use that system, I'd call them after making my request to ensure they had it and understood it, but that's me.

Does your system offer anything similar? Alternatively I'd put a call into the surgery and ask anyway, but I'd do it sooner rather than later. As we approach the big bun fight, surgeries will get busier and there'll probably be more frenzied requests. I'd want in ahead of those, if I wanted a positive result.

As your profile suggests you are using insulin (which will mean tests strips and all that jazz), it's important you have plenty supplies. Go for it.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes, please.

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
6870E288-F8B5-4630-8B6A-C013FC35F32E.jpeg

Mine looks similar to yours, when I’ve tried using the custom request field below I’ve entered eg accuchek test strips x 200 - ordering early as going on holiday and the prescription hasn’t been issued, and a note has appeared in my record saying drugs declined.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am finding I have to ring the surgery for the medication I have always had last time one of the items was missed off and I still have not got them even though I rang the surgery and told them. they said we will get it sent still not got good job I had a few in to last me till my next prescr
iption, which is Monday I wonder what will be missed off this time

D

Deleted Account

Some time ago, my surgery tried to organise my items so that they are prescribed on a regular basis, for my convenience.
I pointed out this makes no sense for my prescription as my insulin dose varies according to what I eat and how I exercise, my test strip usage varies according to how often I eat, drive and exercise, and my syringes and cartridges are for back up so I have no clue when I will need them.

I think this put me in the "too difficult" box and as a result, I order my supplies as and when I want. If I go on holiday for a month, I can order supplies within 3 days of each other; when I come home, it may be six to eight weeks before I order again.

I believe any doctor trying to make type 1 medication ordered at a constant frequency, does not understand what they are prescribing and how it will be used.

Reactions: Diakat