Prescriptions

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

My diabetes consultant gave me a new blog d glucose monitor, which i loved but my gp prescribed me another monitor because it’s cheaper. My consultant maybe a year later prescribed me with another blood glucose monitor that would benefit me more and again they have put me back on the cheapest one. Does anyone else have this?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get your consultant to write to your doctors, showing the meter and strips that he/she has prescribed you. The doctors should follow the consultants suggestions.

A while back my docs changed me to some cheap strips, but when I went to the carb counting course last year where they gave me a new meter and a letter to give to the docs about needing strips for it, and since then I've had the strips for the better meter from my docs (my docs did also put a note on the prescription list saying 'For carb counting' so I guess that will remind them not to get rid of them). So they should take note of a letter from your consultant in the same way, if they don't let the consultant know.

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was also given mine for carb counting and they changed them. Hopefully my consultant can help me with this

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP's practice managers have tried on occasion to do this, till I point out to them that as I am injecting what is to others a poison on a regular daily basis and trust my meter implicitly, even NICE have said patients should not be forced to change meters for cost reasons.