Pretty Big Achievement !!!!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just wanted to share with you all that Jess this week has decided that she's going to do her own injections :) Until now she's been reluctant to do them herself, she can do them but prefers not to. I didn't want to push her into something she wasn't comfortable with doing always believing that she will take on the role when she feels ready. Well this week she's started doing all her own injections. I still go into school at lunch time but only to watch that she dials up the right dose and to be there for moral support. I'll keep being there for a few more weeks at least but after that when she's ready and confident I'll let her decide whether or not I should be there at lunchtime. I'm so happy and proud of her, I could burst :)

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Re: A little achievement

Hi Sophie,
Well done Jess, it takes a lot for a child to start to do their own injections, i'm sure your elated. Our children pride us in many ways over the years, and this is one you'l remember always. I still get emotional when i read Andrews postcard from camp telling me of his acheivement at doing his own injections.
Well done Jess
Suzi x

leggott

Hi, That's fantastic news. You must be so proud and so must she. My daughter is still a long way off doing her own injections, although she has only just turned 7. I am very fortunate as the Headmistress of our school does all her injections including her little brother who is also at the same school.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

That's great news Sophia :D

You must be one proud mum!

Nigel

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks everyone, yes I am very proud of her. I always believed that she would ask to take control when she was ready and not because someone had pushed her before she was willing.

dot

Surely the title of the thread should be pretty big achievement?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

dot said:
Surely the title of the thread should be pretty big achievement?

We quite agree. Great stuff !! All changed........ :D

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks everyone :)

Jess is still doing most of the injecting herself. Sometimes she asks me to do it for her, I guess we all want a break now and again :) But mostly she's managing to do all the injections by herself.

The reason I created this thread, apart from being a super proud mother and wanting to tell the world about it :), is to offer encouragement to other parents who feel the way I did when medical professionals tried to push that Jess is old enough and should be doing it all herself. That was probably a year ago that they compared her to other children of her age and said I shouldn't be helping her with it. I always believed that it was something she should only take responsibility for when she herself felt she was ready. Our children have enough to cope with as it is let alone being pressured to do something they're not yet confident about. I don't think age should be used as a guide but rather willingness and confidence of the person in question.