Preventing gum disease pivotal for people with diabetes, says tech firm

DCUK NewsBot

Improving the gum health of people with diabetes who are at risk of gum disease is pivotal to prevent health complications, a Luxembourg technology company has said. To coincide with World Oral Health Day, Taradon Laboratory is raising awareness of how the risk of gum disease, or periodontitis, is increased among people with diabetes, particularly those with uncontrolled blood glucose levels. Studies suggest that there is a bi-directional relationship between periodontal disease and disease: serious gum disease could affect blood glucose control and could increase the risk of complications. In 2017, a UK survey revealed that 50% of people with diabetes had not been given any information about the risk of gum disease by their dentists. Taradon Laboratory, a company which has developed products designed to reduce sugar levels in saliva, is hoping to lessen the risk and burden of the relationship between gum disease and diabetes. The AnOxident balance mouthcare range, which comprises four inter-related products, is designed to regulate the amount of glucose in the mouth. "The protective mechanisms in saliva play an essential role in oral health, and incorporating these natural molecules in mouthcare products could help lower the risk of oral complications," says Dr. Jean Paul Perraudin, General Manager and Researcher at Taradon Laboratory. "This could lead to better daily oral health for people suffering with diabetes by helping control unwanted bacteria, reducing oxidative stress, improving natural oral defences and avoiding gum problems." Healthy gums are linked with lower risks of diabetes-related complications and with improvements in kidney and blood vessel function, according to a 2018 study by UCL Eastman Dental. Alongside maintaining good oral health, people with diabetes or those at risk of diabetes can lower the severity of gum disease by keeping good control of blood glucose levels and eating a healthy real-food diet.

Continue reading...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is almost like an advert.

M

Member496333

Glucotoxicity as far as I’m aware has long been known to cause oral hygiene problems. This strikes me on first thought as another medicinal solution to a dietary problem (in the case of insulin resistant diabetes). In fact, carbohydrates in general, although they may not all taste sweet (owing to the lack of fructose) begin breaking down into glucose before we’ve even swallowed them, contributing measurably to tooth decay, but that’s a wider discussion.

Personally I think it’s better to address the root cause of the diabetes rather than once again papering over the cracks.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Do people really need telling this stuff.

Eating sugar (in any form) and not cleaning properly. That's what causes oral problems.

Why does everything today have to be blameable on something or somebody else.

When did people stop being responsible for their own lives.

M

Member496333

Do people really need telling this stuff.

Eating sugar (in any form) and not cleaning properly. That's what causes oral problems.

Why does everything today have to be blameable on something or somebody else.

When did people stop being responsible for their own lives.

In fairness to the article, besides the obvious contributors of eating sugar and substandard oral hygiene, diabetes affects oral health through glucotoxicity in the body. It’s another example of blood glucose control being only part of the story. In the words of Jason Fung, but paraphrased, glucose in the body rots tissues and organs, irrespective of glucose in the blood. This is an aspect of diabetes that is hugely misunderstood, and is the reason why glucose control alone is not a statistically relevant predictor of future outcomes.

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Glucotoxicity as far as I’m aware has long been known to cause oral hygiene problems. This strikes me on first thought as another medicinal solution to a dietary problem (in the case of insulin resistant diabetes). In fact, carbohydrates in general, although they may not all taste sweet (owing to the lack of fructose) begin breaking down into glucose before we’ve even swallowed them, contributing measurably to tooth decay, but that’s a wider discussion.

Personally I think it’s better to address the root cause of the diabetes rather than once again papering over the cracks.
That is why diabetics don't qualify for free dental care. It's a glucose problem. Always will be.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Still the biggest problem for me is the fact that the press and public grab on to these kinds of things.

Smoking will do far more harm to your teeth than diabetes.

Then the standard elephant. The information that will genuinely help diabetics is squashed under the weight of what? Politics, money, Co op ignorance.

I let slip I only eat once as I had no pack up with me. I avoid mentioning anything like that. Lessons learned and all.

The drivel I have heard since about eating 'right' from people who are easily obese. Some morbidly.

Compounded by the quote " my wife is a nurse and said your doing yourself real harm. You should see a doctor"

Ha!