Private messages

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
When I went to my User Control Panel to look at a new PM, there was a note saying that a PM had been removed because of content - or something similar.

Is this usual? I didn't realise that Admin either did or could monitor our private messages.

Viv 8)

C

catherinecherub

Are you sure the sender didn't have second thought and remove it? This can happen. The message will have a reason above it in red writing.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
There was red writing, but no sign of a message apart from one legit one today. Otherwise my last one in was June 29th.

Viv 8)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pm admin and ask. My only thought is that maybe a spammer has been Pming , that has happened in the past , and that somehow his/her messages have been stopped .

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Unfortunately I didn't keep it, and it was gone next time I looked. That's why I couldn't quote it exactly.

I'll get in touch with Admin. Thanks, everyone.

Viv 8)

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
It wasn't me so you missed nothing important!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Nice one, Gappy!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Viv 8)

RussG

I've never had this but my messages seem to be hanging round in the outbox for ages and not moving in the sent box. I'm not sure if they're all going or not, but if they are, they take quite a while. This seems to be new (last couple of weeks, anyway.) Anyone else having this?

louiseb

I have also noticed that some of my sent messages are taking a very long time to send and stay in the outbox for hours even days on some occasions before eventually being sent.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Not 100% sure but I think messages stay in your outbox until they are sent to the recipient, and that depends when they log in.

louiseb

Sid Bonkers said:
Not 100% sure but I think messages stay in your outbox until they are sent to the recipient, and that depends when they log in.

I have sent messages to members who I know are online at the time I sent the message, however the message still remains in the outbox for some time afterwards.

ClaireG 06

I think you are right Sid that they stay in the outbox until the user logs in. However mine seem to hang still even when user is logged in, looks like Louise has to! Maybe they havn't seen they have a PM.
I've notified Admin now anyway to see if there is some problem with the system at the moment.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys - we can't see a problem...

In terms of sent messages:

The OUTBOX is where your sent messages are kept UNTIL the recipient reads it. So, that means that if the person you send it to doesn't read it, it'll remain in the outbox.

You can delete a message BEFORE the recipient reads it by deleting it from your outbox. This will cause the recipient to see a 'Delete message - the sender deleted the message' notification in their inbox.

If it has been removed, it's probably because the user deleted it. We can't see anyone's PMs, so it's not us - it's either the fact that the sender deleted it, or the user was spam and by deleting the user, the PM went, too... although it's probably the former.

Does this make sense? Not sure if I've explained it correctly, but if it isn't clear I'll try again! :)

ClaireG 06

Thanks :D That makes sense. Must be then that if people are online when messages are sent, they havn't seen they have a PM and havn't read it yet.
Viv, it looks like your missing PM could have been deleted before you got the chance to read it.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah, I'd say so - and probably by the sender. The whole concept of being able to delete a message before the other person has read it is quite unique to this forum (and a little bizarre) but does make sense when thinking about spam. However, PMs can't be sent by new members until they reach a certain post count to it's probably genuinely deleted by the user.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, I always say to myself if anything is in the outbox a 'while' he/she hasnt 'picked' it up yet... As when they 'do' it always goes into the send box. Hope this helps? Anna.x :)

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not important enough to get PMs...(Looking for 'sad' smileys but none available)

Regards, Malc.