private pancreatic function test ?

spaglemon

Hi, was diagnosed type 2 about 3 and a half years ago with a fasting level of 14.7 and a subsequent HBA1c result of 10.5%, was put on 500mg twice daily metformin, quickly realised that low carb was the way to go for me and very quickly gained great control of my blood sugar levels, dropped from 20.5 stone 36% bodyfat to as of this morning 12 stone 10lbs and 13% bodyfat, only on 500mg metformin once daily now.

my HBA1c results have always been low to medium 5's in old money, ideally would love sub 5%, despite this I knew that I was only well controlled not cured but part of me began to wonder if my body would perhaps handle carbs better and I have to admit I slipped of the wagon one night between christmas and new year and I had a chocolate, then another and then another, all told I munched 5 ! It's my first slip up since diagnosis and I feel really bad about it, I tested at half an hour, 1 hour, 2 hours and 3 hours and at 3 hours I was still 11 ! so I'd well and trully satisfied my curiosity.

I should have phoned for my latest HBA1c result on Friday but still haven't managed to build up the courage to do so as I'm expecting it to be higher.

I've been wondering if anyone knows of a test I could have done that would indicate the condition of my pancreas ? would this be horrendously expensive to have done privately ? don't imagine the NHS would cover it ?

Thanks

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
No idea to cost but we all fall off the wagon and if your other numbers have been fine then l doubt that your slip up will measure they will be pulled down into the overall amount. l had a couple of 9 and 8 in my early days post November and till just before Xmas last year while l was trying to adjust and learn. My Hb just done and it came out at 5.5% which is not even in good diabetic range it is excellent normal people range.

Find out your bloods and let us know please :)