Probably a stupid question, but was this a hypo?

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
This morning I had a really unpleasant quite scary occurrence.

My fasting bloods were 4.7. I had my usual breakfast of porridge with a tiny bit of fruit sugar. Forty-five minutes later I did my usual 35 minutes of Zumba, had a shower etc and did a blood test at 2 hours which was 5.6. I walked down to work - 25 minutes fast walk and felt ok. After being in work for about 10 minutes when I was just walking from the kitchen out into the reception area I suddenly felt absolutely awful. I suddenly became really dizzy, stupidly tired and wobbly and incredibly sweaty - literally covered in sweat :( I wasn't sure what to do, so sat down before I fell down and wondered what the hell was happening. Then I thought perhaps it was a hypo and went had a drink of Coke which was in the kitchen at work. After about 5 minutes I started to feel more human again. Fifteen minutes later I was ok, but feeling really tired.

I'm not on any diabetic medication and my bloods were ok when I left the house and I didn't do anything out of my usual routine on a day when I'm working.

I'm wondering whether it was a hypo? Whatever it was I don't want to have it again.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you :)

daisy3174

Hi there,sounds lke a Hypo, especially if relieved with a can of coke and sounds like you used a lot of energy that morning! Take your meter with you to work you can check your bs level then x

kellyrae

Next time this happens, if you can try and do a blood test to see wether your blood has dropped, sounds to me like you had a hypo...usually anything under 4 and you will start to feel like you did.

When my bloods drop I sweat and feel very unsteady, make sure you carry something with you if you are walking to work especially if you are doing zumba before hand.

It doesnt take long for your sugars to drop even when your just walking and even when you feel ok in yourself, the symptoms can come on quite quickly, unfortunately we just have to be aware of these thing and be extra careful....hope this helps.

C

catherinecherub

didie said:
This morning I had a really unpleasant quite scary occurrence.

My fasting bloods were 4.7. I had my usual breakfast of porridge with a tiny bit of fruit sugar. Forty-five minutes later I did my usual 35 minutes of Zumba, had a shower etc and did a blood test at 2 hours which was 5.6. I walked down to work - 25 minutes fast walk and felt ok. After being in work for about 10 minutes when I was just walking from the kitchen out into the reception area I suddenly felt absolutely awful. I suddenly became really dizzy, stupidly tired and wobbly and incredibly sweaty - literally covered in sweat :( I wasn't sure what to do, so sat down before I fell down and wondered what the hell was happening. Then I thought perhaps it was a hypo and went had a drink of Coke which was in the kitchen at work. After about 5 minutes I started to feel more human again. Fifteen minutes later I was ok, but feeling really tired.

I'm not on any diabetic medication and my bloods were ok when I left the house and I didn't do anything out of my usual routine on a day when I'm working.

I'm wondering whether it was a hypo? Whatever it was I don't want to have it again.

Thank you :)

Hi didie,

I know there are debates on here about who can and cannot hypo and I am of the opinion that anyone can have a hypo diabetic or not. I do not take medication and have experienced similar. It is not pleasant and you need to be vigilant now. Meter and food/drink in case. I always take my blood sugar before I drive as a precaution.

It can leave you feeling quite rough even when you have recovered and I hope you are feeling OK now.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is your blood pressure usually like? Could it have been low blood pressure?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
didie said:

I'm not a type 2 Didie but what you've described there does sound like a really bad hypo, the fact that you felt better after the coke but felt tired afterwards is similar to how I feel if my bg drops too low, for your own peace of mind why not get checked out by your gp and mention your unpleasant experience to them.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Thank you for the advice :D

My blood pressure is quite low, but I don't have any problems with it and I wasn't standing up from sitting or lying down when it happened. It was really odd :(

I'm having an HbA1c tomorrow morning, so will ask the nurse about it then.

I'll be very careful with myself as it is my son's university Graduation tomorrow afternoon and I don't want to be having a funny turn then.

Rivig

Yep

Sound like a nasty hypo to me, I can get the same symptoms even when the meter says 5.2 ish not nice :cry:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I didn't have time earlier to say why I thought it may be low blood pressure.

A few months ago I was out shopping in an indoor shopping centre and came over all funny. I felt hot, sweaty, dizzy and not quite right and wanted to sit down. The next thing I knew I had fainted and they had called the first aider.

I thought it may be a hypo, but not likely as my breakfast is my most carby of the day. I treated it as a hypo with a third of a bottle of normal coke. I had to get my OH to collect me as I still didn't feel too good. Once I got home, I took my blood pressure and it was low.

I googled for reasons why I had felt like I did and the most common answer that came up was low blood pressure from being dehydrated. I'd not drunk much (water) the day before.

Diddie, I notice that you had been doing Zumba, could this have contributed to you being dehydrated and coupled with your normal low blood pressure.

Just a thought.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Sounds like hypo symptoms, but since hypo can happen to anyone who hasn't eaten or has burned off their food, It's not a cause for worry. Hypos are only dangerous in people using glucose lowering medication, where the glucose level may continue to fall even after symptoms show up. Without such medication, your liver will release some glucose and you'll be ok, even if you don't take some sugar.
Hana

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes sounds like classic "low blood sugars" to me Didie :)

I've had similar things and it's a shame you couldn't measure you BG's after you began to feel normal as I would expect you'd have been quite impressed how high they had gone after the liver dump that made you feel better.

Alternatively similar symptoms can be caused by low blood pressure.

didie

Dislikes
Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions :)

Once I'd done my 2-hour blood test I had a drink before heading off to work, so I don't think I was dehydrated. It was a most odd event on a day when I just followed my usual routine. It certainly felt very odd. Hopefully it won't happen again, but I will take my monitor with me when I'm out and about for the next wee while just in case. I'll definitely not exercise before we head off to the Graduation tomorrow.

eta: I hope my levels didn't go up too much after my liver dumped as I have my blood test tomorrow and my levels have been coming nice and low.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
No when it happens they usually drop back within a couple of hours or so. Borofergie reckons he liver dumps above 10 when he runs at weekends and look at his hBA1c so nothing to worry about! I still wouldn't rule out low blood pressure Didie and maybe get yourself checked over if it happens again within a short time.