Probably a stupid question but ......

Nic51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
right new to all this but, if you cut out bread pasta rice potatoes etc and you detest lentils what the heck do you eat, reading i find that fruit isnt good either the veg i like are bad veg ie, parsnips carrots beetroot etc also when buying yoghurts what is the best to go for ? i understand that i will need to find what triggers mine the worst etc only 3 days in and head buzzing

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you like cheese egg and meat? protien is your friend!! also cauliflower and brocoili are very good carrots and beetroot I didnt know were bad

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nic,
Do you want to go down the low carb route or are you looking to just cut out things that will give huge spikes?
I do what I call moderate carbing in that I eat smaller portions of high carb foods and have more of the saucy vegetable stuff instead. I also find most vegetables minus spuds are good as are berries. As a replacement to rice etc cous cous is really nice especially when cooked in stock and herbs. best thing to do is test before you eat and 2 hrs after which will give you the best idea of what works for you. If want to go strict low carb look at that bit of the form quite a few put up recipes something might take your fancy there.

Reactions: 2 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
No such thing as a stupid question!

It really depends on the route you want to take combined with the food you already like

So if you want to lower your carbs then adapt what you already like

I love nearly all food (which is probably how I ended up here!), so I found it easy. I loved pasta and bread but I dont miss them, it's odd!

I use courgette ribbons (with a potato peeler!) instead of pasta, cauliflower instead or rice or potatoes. I love salad, eggs, cheese.
Oven chips made from swede are ok.
I bought Atkins bars to help with my chocolate cravings

What things would you normally eat? We may be able to make some suggestions..........

Cara

Reactions: 4 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is hard at first you think you are going to starve but you wont there are lots of ideas on here EG today for lunch my husband had sausage sandwiches and I had 2 sausages (Black farmers daughter) and 2 scrambled eggs Tonight we will have tandoorii chicken (home made ) with loads of stir fried veg -peppers and courgette onion garilic Dont despair !!
CAROL

lilmizkez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm terrible as I cant live without potatoes, bread. The only veg I like is carrots broccoli cabbage, I make roast dinners most nights. I'm going to see a dietitian next week for the first time in 11 years and am scared they are going to make me stop eating everything I love. I hate pastas and rice lentils beans ect and I am not keen on fish I eat a lot of chicken and pork. but now my cholesterol is high, i'm only 7st 6 so obviously not over weight I don't know what else i'd eat

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make roast dinners at the week end but I have roast celeriac and swede instead of potato lots of veg with butter on and plenty of meat For afters I will have berries with cream and cheese with maybe 1 or 2 lowish carb crackers with cheese a nice glass of red wine to round it off Diabetics dont have to starve :)
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

Nic51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
thank you soooo much for your replies yes i like cheese alot have 3 goudas in fridge i recently brought back from amsterdam! eggs to, courgettes yep cauli is ok ish lol i think i want to be able to eat everything cos im the sort of girl that if you tell me not to eat something i will binge on it but if i know i can have say a pkt of crisps once a week then that will be better if you know what i mean so far head is all over the place but i know diet had to change, are prawns ok? had them today with a salad and a pkt of m and s eat well cheese triangles (like cheddars ) a 30g pkt still in the learning hard bit and also had snack pot of fruit melon apple one starwaberry also had porridge for breakfast
suffer of ibs to but to be fair the last 3 days its been ok maybe my new diet will help

lilmizkez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love carrots and swede mash but my hubby and son hate it lol I don't think my diet is too bad but my sugar levels are always all over the place, both high and low and even in the same day

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prawns are ok for me with some mayo and a bit of chilli sauce Yum Have you got a meter the only way to find out how food affects you is to test 2 hours after a meal
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any meat, fish, eggs, cheese, raw carrots (taste better anyway). Some fruits are fine including berries. 85% Dark chocolate is fine. You don't have to give up carbs just go low-GI where you can and keep the quantity down to the level that you meter says is OK. If you haven't yet got a meter do get one as that is the only way to find out which foods and what quantity affect you most

LizzieX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling stressed. Dealing with confrontation. Overwork.
Low GI definitely seems to help my meter readings and enables me to eat some of the things I didn't used to think possible - Type 2 diagnosed over 5 years ago

Nic51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
i do have a meter day 3 into using it and the reading 2 hrs after lunch was the same maybe a point different from my starting one this morning which was 15 which i know is high but is the fact that its the same as the over night one a good or bad thing?

LizzieX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling stressed. Dealing with confrontation. Overwork.
As far as I understand it two hours after a meal you would hope to be back to your lower level, which as you say is currently quite high. I imagine sooner after a meal e.g. one hour - it would have been higher? So this may be going in the right direction, but others may know more?

I just try to avoid very high spikes following meals, by trying to keep tabs on my diet and quantities. Going for a walk seems to help me sometimes. Also need to be aware of exercising on an empty stomach when the liver can dump glucose I gather and you can get a high reading! Hey ho - all the best in getting your BG down - it will get there.

Nic51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
yep i wondered the same lizzie about the if its close to my first reading of the day is it ok lol who knows someone will tell me here i hope