Problem when meds stop working

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for this being so long but please bear with me

I wonder if anyone else is having the same problems as I have been having over the last couple of years, just to give you some background my sugar has never really been under control for about the last 10yrs I was diagnosed T2 just over 18yrs ago and for the first 7 to 8yrs I was diet controlled then my sugar started to rise and just kept going until it was in the high teens and low twenties most days with some days way up in the thirties and the meter would just laugh and go “humph you got to be joking right” my doctors at the time just told me to persevere with the tablets and would change the dose of the Metformin and Gliclazide.

I moved house and doctors just over 2 yrs ago and this is when it got strange the new doctors couldn’t be more different I was put onto Liraglutide alongside the tablets and boom worked within 48hrs my sugar was down to 6.7 also had my first Hypo in 16yrs at 5.4 with not being used to my sugar being that low it was wonderful regular daily meter readings of 5.3 and 6.7 then about 9months after starting the injections my sugar started to rise again and in a matter of a few weeks I was back up 18/19s and 20s I was then given Insulin alongside the Liraglutide boom sugar back down you’ve guessed it for about 9mths, I was then put onto Byetta injections twice a day alongside the Insulin and tablets sugar back down to “normal!” yep for about 9mths, I have just started a new injection of Bydureon once a week alongside the Insulin and tablets although personally I don’t think the tablets are doing anything at all the new injection seems to be working at the moment with readings of between 5.2 and 6.9 though I wondering for how long before I have to change yet again, it seems that after a few months my body builds up a resistance to the meds and they stop working and my sugars start to spike up to the high teens and low twenties.

So I was wondering if anyone else has/had this problem and how you managed it and did you find something that finally worked for you

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Out of curiosity Malcolm have you changed your diet at all, taking medication alone isn't going to make a vast difference, you are going to have to be proactive with your diet and exercise.

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of curiosity Malcolm have you changed your diet at all, taking medication alone isn't going to make a vast difference, you are going to have to be proactive with your diet and exercise.

Yes Dawn I started a HFLC diet with most of the recipes found on this site and I exercise by fighting with swords, axes, spears, longbows and shields as a member of a Medieval Combat Academy always been fit that way do Tai-Chi played rugby used to do power lifting, it’s just as I say after a few months whatever they change my meds to seem to stop working and my sugar goes through the roof then they change what I’m on and it works for a few months and stops, can’t seem to find anything that works long-term yet and wondered if others had or had have the same problem