Seconlife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
arrogancy, stress, arguments ...
Hey,

I'm quite angry at the moment. Just seen that my test strips are nearby empty again. I get 350 each quater... with a lot of discussing I get 400 sometimes.

The llaws say that I would get as much as I need but in the region where I live it isn't like this...

Are 350 test strips really so much for three month? How much do you need? Have you similar problems with getting enough?

SecondLife

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use around 200 every 4 weeks, so 350 every three months wouldn't be enough for me.

Notice that you live in Germany so not sure how it all works over there, but when my Dr tried to reduce my test strips by saying I was testing too much I asked my diabetes consultant to write to them and explain that I needed to test multiple times a day.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi seconlife
as noblehead says - i do not know how it works in germany.

for me here in the uk i get 300 per month - i am currently awaiting going on a pump so have been doing loads of testing to help establish accurate basal rates and bolus doses and correction values.

we also have requirements to test before driving and during journeys -- germany is in the EU so it will be the same for you

my favourite response to any health professional that says "no more strips" is -- would you drive your car without a speedometer ?
leaves them lost for words

can you talk to anybody in your diabetes care team about this ?

good luck in getting it resolved

maryjey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In Poland I get a prescription for 200 strips a month as type 1. Type 2 gets 50 strips. I use more than 200 sometimes but apart from getting them from my family doctor I get a prescription when I see my diabetologist every few months so I'm ok for now.
I haven't heard about the rules for testing before driving but I do it anyway. BTW the speedometer in my car is broken and I've been driving like that for a few months now :p - I don't use the car daily, usually about 2-3 times a month, though.
I would compare not testing to driving blindfolded or with your hands off the wheel... :)

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Hey,

I'm quite angry at the moment. Just seen that my test strips are nearby empty again. I get 350 each quater... with a lot of discussing I get 400 sometimes.

The llaws say that I would get as much as I need but in the region where I live it isn't like this...

Are 350 test strips really so much for three month? How much do you need? Have you similar problems with getting enough?

SecondLife
Lucky you getting strips. I cannot get any. Told the metformin will 'do the job'. I'm going to 'Living With Diabetes' day next month. I'm hoping to get help and advice then especially getting testing strips.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucky you getting strips. I cannot get any. Told the metformin will 'do the job'. I'm going to 'Living With Diabetes' day next month. I'm hoping to get help and advice then especially getting testing strips.
@Seconlife is a Type 1 , and strips are a crucial part of the toolkit needed to calculate the insulin dose . Not luck, but necessity .

Signy

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
Necessity isn't in my doctors vocabulary

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Necessity isn't in my doctors vocabulary

I think you will find most Type 2's on here do not get strips on prescription, but have to self fund. Many Type 1's and Type 2's on insulin for whom testing is an absolute necessity are also having difficulties accessing the amount of strips needed .

The party line is that " Type 2's do not need to self test, because having HbA1c tests are sufficient " . Whether we agree or disagree with that, that unfortunately is the way it is , and I can't see it changing anytime soon.

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surly giving diabetics test strips is a lot cheap than a trip to A and E in an ambulance or the doctor having to be called out for a hypo or ketones. not to mention the complications caused by poor BG management..

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surly giving diabetics test strips is a lot cheap than a trip to A and E in an ambulance or the doctor having to be called out for a hypo or ketones. not to mention the complications caused by poor BG management..

You would think so, wouldn't you ? :rolleyes: It seems fairly obvious to us, but not to the bean counters . I do think it could have been better handled than a more or less blanket ban, but to play the Devils advocate, there was an awful lot of wastage which was due to poor education. For example, a Twosie being given a meter and being told to test once a day, but not when and why so the figures re order ( if they were!) were pretty much meaningless . I believe that if someone is well motivated to test and eat to their meter, thus improving their HbA1c and health , then they should be encouraged to do so.

Ironically, many of the standard meters that are being issued to Type 1's are unfit for the purpose of calculating bolus doses and detecting hypos, but would probably suit a Type 2 where accuracy is not so crucial. Perhaps a way forward in saving costs would be to prescribe these where requested, and allow for a wider range of options available for Type 1's . But I suspect this is not going to happen, and the restriction will remain in place.

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2 on insulin. 200 a month. I asked and I got. I think it's because my surgery looses the will to live when I go on the offensive. Now they go for an easy life. I think my photo is on nursys dart board. But I'm always polite and never loose my temper. :mad:

mattzuma

Type one diabetes. When I test:
Breakfast
Bedtime
Before hard swim (3 times a week)
After hard swim (3 times a week)
Before meals 3 times a day
During suspected hypo (5 times a week)
Total needed per 4 weeks: 180
Total given on prescription 200