BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Re: Problems with employers?

Yes, 6 months modified duties whilst under "observation" ! However, still happy to have job. Many have lost theirs !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Mr Happy said:
Potentially they are being discriminatory then, citizens advice may be of help!

If you volunteer the information, the employer has a duty to assess whether any physical or mental impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. The balance between privacy and safety are always difficult but it would be in no one's interest to have someone driving a bus whose eyesight was failing for example. I cannot immediately imagine many cases however where most diabetes was dangerous in a job but where people are in danger of hypoglycaemia there are obviously jobs where the employer does need to know. In many cases there are perfectly acceptable work arounds but I do notice the tendency amongst some modern employers to not want to be bothered with it all and mostly, that's where the discrimination is.

The CAB are going through yet another round of having their funding chopped and the salaried staff are being laid off and re-employed on new contracts with reduced salaries. Ironically most of their time is spent on people who have got into serious debt problems and they are busier than ever.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

laurenmilward said:
Has any one else had any problems with being employed because of their diabetes?

No not as yet.

TokSik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having sweet stuff to eat often enough !! But I make a lot of my own without sugars

laurenmilward

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I work in a nursing home. The manager ended up asking me if I was in the right job because I had been ill a few times even with sick notes. Plus had a go about my diabetes. Learning me to suck eggs.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

All these reasons not to say your diabetic!

martin2410

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Ive told my bosses and its been taken on board without any issues-so far. I drive a 7.5 tonner for a very well known international company. I think, as long as its under control, they wont be too bothered. They might ask how its going and if Im fine with it but I dont think there will be any bother. Besides, Im 1 of 3 at my depot alone, so if they start on me, they start on everyone.

raymond123

Dislikes
tv

i just had continuous problems with employers due to multitude of illnesses, none believed and retired at 53. ironically i was financially better of after ceasing work but now having a company pension and needing carers after 2 major heart attacks, my life being saved by a paddle, i am very short of cash. extra pension can put you out of benifits.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

I worked in a oap home on nights and they took my diabetes really well. Only thing I had probs with was a senior carer who was taking a residents call button out the wall intentionslly so she couldnt call.... I found the staff were brilliant but then again I carried dolly mixtures in my pocket, my insulin pen too and my meter was in a easily accessed place. Everybody knew I was T1, but I never have had one single dsy off sick ever in almost 30 years using diabetes as the reason. Only time I had time off was due to hysterctomy, even then thought I was fit enough to go back to work a week after the op...
Not an excuse for your bosses behaviour or from legal side... But.. Just my point of view....Nursing homes run on minimal staff at the best of times... So I do see their point of view in some aspects if you are being off sick on a few occasions. It puts your colleagues under extra pressure to cover for you.
Perhaps working in that environment isnt good for you.
Management wasnt good for my mental health in the end, so I got out of it. I love having my own gardening business and doing something that I love. Probably will get shouted down for this, but I believe it is always worth actually thinking why bosses say these things like you have had said to you.
Perhaps, your boss may have thought about you doing another job within the nursing home?
If I had a person with health problems, and my god theres a lot worse illnesses than type 1 diabetes ... If they were having difficulty with their job, I would have spoken to the person and asked them if we (company) could do anything to help them, and yes... A change of job, different hours, equipment etc would all have been discussed to try to work with that colleague to achieve better health and working terms and conditions....

donnacarr

I work in the community with the older people i love my job and told them i was diabetic,i have had a few problems due to time off due to sickness they dont seem to realize the complications that goes along with it im not very well controlled at the min which wont help i know,but has any one else had problems

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Complications do not have to go along with diabetes.... It is not right to put that as a carte blanche statement.

Worked for almost 30 years, without anytime off due to diabetes... And no complications....the best way to avoid any complications is down to you... To get better control.

I'm not perfect, but do feel for employers and future diabetics trying to get a job. Your current employer after employing you with your complications and time off, would probably never employ another diabetic... Because their experience with you...

Sorry to sound harsh, but to avoid more complications and time off work..you need to get your diabetes balanced..

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

I have had no complications thus far. When first diagnosed, had 4 weeks sick due to very high levels but been fine since. Still not allowed back to operational duty but I understand/accept that. I am fairly new to diabetes so may be talking out of turn but I sort of agree with previous post. Some people seem to think the world owes them a living because of their diabetes. Again, I only mean some.
If I were running a business, whilst I would have every sympathy, if an employee were of sick a lot and were unreliable, why should my business suffer ? Now, before everyone attacks me lol, I am a firm believer in employee rights, unfairness and the Disability Act etc, however, it's also out duty to act responsible and maintain control of our illness.
For the unfortunate few, I know this can be difficult and some also have other conditions alongside their diabetes and this makes things even harder.
Hopefully I can maintain good control, keep myself fit and stave off any complications. If not, maybe I'll think differently lol !

donnacarr

Im glad u have had no complactions but i have when i complained about my employer i was stating that i have had problems other than diabetes but with diabetes on top of everything else is not good im not perfect and either r my bg and im taking from personal experiences im glad everything went well for u,but its not for me

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Donnacarr, thanks for your words, I am sorry things are tough for you. I know there are many who do suffer with complications. I'm sure one day I will too ! Hope you see some improvement soon !

kellibabi

Hi,

I work in the NHS & have to say, they are AWFUL when it comes to support/understanding.
Every time I have to go for a blood test (can be waiting around for 1.5/2hrs at the hospital) or go for a DN appointment,
I have to make up the time. Extra time at work that stresses me out & makes me feel ill. Coupled with the fact I seem to have a headache all day, EVERY day, I end up feeling like I can't cope & just want to give up.

Anyone with an understanding employer is very lucky indeed.