problems with waterworks persisting.

Niamh

Hello everyone !

I'm hoping someone else has heard of this problem and can kindly offer advice please.

My dear husband was diagnosed with Type2 diabetes a few months ago but even before then he was sometimes "caught short". In fact, it was this problem which led to him seeing a doctor in the first place. He has been back 9 or 10 times, always to complain about this same problem, has had more blood and urine tests, been given short courses of different medicine, in addition to that for diabetes, but still the problem remains. Now I'm getting worried that his underpants are becoming "hard" and ordinary machine washing will not soften them. I first noticed this about 18 mths ago, threw all his underwear in the bin and bought a doz M&S ones yet they too are now almost rigid. I notice a very strong smell from his urine. Is this a symptom of diabetes too?
We live in a hard water area and I use water softner in every wash; besides, it's only around the gusset?? that's hard.

We wish we could understand what's causing this problem.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Niamh,welcome to the forum.Do you know what tests your husband has had from the doctor?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I would tell lhis health care team, because diabetics are prone to urinary tract problems. And keep telling them. Has he been checked for ketones? Can you smell an appley, pear droppy smell on him? What are his BG numbers like?
The nearer he can get his BG numbers to non-diabetic levels, the more likely, that any problem will be cured. In the mean time, try cranberry tablets( sugar free) and keeping those numbers down to around 5 at all times. That's probably lower than the doctor has said, but that's what non-diabetics run at.
Having said that, it might be unrelated. it's not something I or my husband has suffered from.
Hunt this forum for ways to get the BG numbers right down.

Niamh

Thank you, Sue & Hana.

hope you won't mind if I reply to you jointly.

We are not very knowledgeable on medical matters though initially my husband suspected prostate problems but the tests were negative. He seems to have been given antibiotics, or at least the pills were for 14day courses with no follow-up appointments.

As for the diabetes, he was unable to get his bs level below 11 while taking Metformin so he now takes Rosiglitazone night & morning, Gliclazide 80mg once daily plus, for arthritis, Dicloflex 50mg 1x3x daily. His bs is now between 8 to 10. He is very slim and does not wish to loose any more weight, having lost 20 lbs last year, without effort. We heard other diabetics say, at the classes we had to attend, that they felt ill when their readings were 4 or 5, though those people may not have been Type2. Ultimately, he would like to get the bs down by diet alone so we will check out this forum for tips.

Katharine

It does sound like he may need insulin. One way or another the GP has not been able to sort out the problem. You could ask for a referral to see a diabetologist.

Trinkwasser

I'd agree with a second opinion, he may be caught in a loop with some form of persistent UTi or bladder infection which is feeding off his high BG, and in turn is keeping his BG high. This may need both better BG control and different antibiotics, and maybe a longer course, to clear.

winksey

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
One big main factor you need to take in here is his age.....
He could just have bladder weakness due to his age as we get older our bladder gets weaker.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Another thought.What is he eating? If you follow the usual advice, and "eat plenty of complex carbs with every meal" the BGs WILL be high, even on shedloads of medicines. If the carbs are reduced, the numbers should fall. Start by cutting out sugar and then reduce the starchy foods. this will need monitoring, so check quite often. If the numbers begin to come down, the medicine will need reducing. I'd start by reducing the giclazide.
chances are, the Healthcare tem won't approve, but if everything gets better, why should you worry about that?
AS to people feeling ill at 4 and 5. that is because their bodies ahve become accostomed to HIGH readings. It doesn't take long to re adjust.
Remember NON-diabetic is around 4.7 - 5.2. Why should diabetics be any different?