Prognosis…?

politician

Three years ago, at the age of 39, I was rushed to hospital with a cardiac arrhythmia whilst on holiday in the UK. The arrhythmia turned out to be benign, although it has recurred intermittently, but during treatment the hospital informed me that I was type two diabetic. On returning home, I had a Glucose Tolerance Test, which partly confirmed that diagnosis - my fasting blood glucose was 7.1 and the two hour result was 11.0, placing me exactly on the threshold for diabetes.

My doctor concluded that "you're not diabetic, but we're going to treat you as though you are", and sent me to a dietician, as well as putting me on statins to reduce my cholesterol (5.8 at that point). My cardiologist additionally prescribed me a combined antiarrhythmic and blood pressure lowering medication (calcium channel blocker), and since then my blood pressure at rest has been between about 110/78 and 125/80, though considerably higher during times of exercise or stress. At around the same time, thorough cardiac testing (stress test, holter monitor, whole body ultrasound) showed no problems, although my doctor noted "you have fatty streaks in your liver – but I would have expected that".

The best part of a year later, I had lost three stones in weight, and we repeated the GTT. This time it produced a fasting result of 6.2 and a two hour result of 6.5, indicating that I had impaired fasting glucose but not glucose intolerance or diabetes. My hb1ac at the time was 6.0%.

Last year, I had a fasting blood glucose and hb1ac test. This produced a strange result, with my fasting blood glucose having increased to 6.7 and my hb1ac having dropped to 5.8%. Total cholesterol was 3.3, and lipids and all other readings absolutely normal. My doctor said she thought this was "absolutely fine and nothing to worry about", and suggested that the curious result may have been due to my feeling stressed on the morning of the test (which I was).

I've just had the test repeated, almost a year on, and am waiting for the result. What should I consider a normal outcome, a broadly satisfactory outcome, or a worrying outcome necessitating further weight loss or modified diet? And if I do not put on significant weight, what is the likelihood of my impaired fasting glucose causing complications or progressing to insulin-dependent type two diabetes?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Politician said:
I've just had the test (HbA1c) repeated, almost a year on, and am waiting for the result.
What should I consider a normal outcome, a broadly satisfactory outcome, or a worrying outcome necessitating further weight loss or modified diet? And if I do not put on significant weight, what is the likelihood of my impaired fasting glucose causing complications or progressing to insulin-dependent type two diabetes?

Lot of questions ? Maybe you should take a read of the information from elsewhere on this site ?
There are other links embedded which discuss complications etc.

Links :
Pre Diabetes. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes.html

Diabetes Type 1. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/type1-diabetes.html

Diabetes Type 2. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/type2-diabetes.html

There are others but I think that's enough 'light' reading for now ! :D

Personally I would wait for the results and then come back and ask if you are not sure.

Ken.

politician

Thanks for the reply, Ken. I'd already read fairly widely around the site as background, but was curious from having read other postings in the forum. Many posters here seemed very worried if their fasting blood glucose didn't begin with a 4, but my doctor was unconcerned about mine being 6.7 last year - although of course my hb1ac was normal.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I think so long as it isn't going up and it is at a normal or reasonable level it doesn't pay to worry too much.
The lower you can get is obviously better, but some are more fanatical than others.
My own HbA1c levels in January were 8.7. After taking some dietary advice from here it is now down to 6.7 in March. I think the next one will be even lower because my daily reading now average u nder 6 mmol/l. Here's hoping. :D

Ken.

politician

Well, I have the results of the blood test now, and they're not quite what I was expecting. In the last year, I've put on about half a stone and have continued with my idiosyncratic way of eating (many days I eat only once in 24 hours, with a gourmet lunch at a restaurant, and I almost never eat more than twice a day), so I was expecting my fasting glucose to have climbed slightly. In fact, it's dropped from 6.7 to 5.7, and all other lipids, electrolytes, thyroid indications, liver functions and bone density tests were as normal, so both my doctor and I are pleased with the outcome.

Trinkwasser

Hey, if it works for you do it! And it looks like it's working for you.

These days I don't snack much but eat about six hours apart. I used to have problems going longer than that to the extent I haven't bothered to try recently. Some people respond well to things like intermittent fasting but I suspect this would make me spike from the meal and liver dump in between.

Do some tests of your 1 hour postprandials and premeals, and especially after exercise when you're not eating just in case anything unexpected is happening though.

politician

Interesting that most people on here undertake regular blood testing - apart from tests conducted at the hospital, I've never, ever done one. I asked my doctor his opinion of home testing, and he said, "Painful, unnecessary and a complete and utter waste of time. Your raised blood sugar is solely due to insulin resistance, and that is solely due to excess weight. Keep the weight off and your blood sugar will stay normal. Put it all back on and you will become diabetic".

Trinkwasser

Ask your doctor what is the average A1c of his patients and how long it is before they have to go onto insulin.

Compare his reply with the experiences of people here (and elsewhere).

Getting your BG in line both reduces IR and makes the weight loss more likely. However it costs money upfront which he wants to save for your amputations, if the heart attack doesn't kill you first.

Cynical, moi? <innocent look>

politician

In fairness Trinkwasser, I'm not sure that is the case. I don't live in the United Kingdom, and money is not an issue for the health service here – doctors can basically prescribe any drugs they want, whatever the cost. I think he was merely taking the view that if I keep my weight down I will not be diabetic, and therefore shouldn't have to go through all the rigours diabetics face.

Trinkwasser

Without a meter how could I tell that I was spiking high around an hour after eating, then after 3 - 4 hours dropping low? That didn't show in my fastings or my A1c.

Without a meter how could I tell what specific foods were spiking me and which weren't? OK I suppose I might have eventually worked out that since being told to eat less fat and more Healthy Whole Grains was not only making me worse but making me fat, then I should do the exact opposite. But the niceties of finding I need to especially avoid wheat but can eat strawberries would have passed me by.

In diabetes the feedback loops are broken: the meter is one way of closing the circuit between what you eat and how your body responds.