progress update

chrissieworne

Hi all, ages since I last went in here, I had been on the Lighterlife plan for 10 months and I lost 6 stones to get to normal weight and BMI. I had to come off my Gliclazide when I started plan so was on no meds at all. I have now been off plan and on conventional foods for three months and am maintaining my goal weight within a 3 pound leeway either side. I now realise my eating consists of 2 portions low fat dairy, 2 fruit portions, 3-4 veg/salad portions, 1 small carb portion, 1 small whole meal portion and 2 small-med protein portions per day. I am never hungry and yes, I have the occasional sugar free jelly and treat. When I was diagnosed 4yrs ago next March my HBAIC was 9.2, I struggled with Metformin and Gliclazide and alhtough I managed to lose a bit of weight the lowest I got my HBAIC to was mid 6's and I couldn't maintain it. My last HBAIC was 5.4!!! My GP said I had "reversed the Diabetes" he said it does not mean I am now non-diabetic but that If I was tested for the very first time now I would not be Diabetic! I am chuffed to mint balls and feel so well. I am aware it will be a struggle to keep it off but I am a new woman inside and out. My main concern is I can still sometimes feel "hypoish" and when I check my levels I can be at 4, I eat regularly but this has confused me as I am not on meds and I would have thought my body would be used to lower BG now, any ideas??? By the way my BP is fine, actually last yr I was borderline for meds but now it is actually low so I can feel giddy if I get up in a hurry for example.
Meant to add, my Thyroid has been checked and my Thyroxine reduced last month so am not over medicated. Thanks folks, ChrisT2 diagnosed May 2009, HBAIC 9.2, July 2010 6.8. March 2011 7.6 poo, Oct 2011 7.8, Feb 2012 6.0, June 2012 6.0 hmm, Nov 2012 5.4!!! whoohoo !!!
Diet only
Thyroxine 100mcg
Aspirin 75mg
Simvastatin 40mg
Lansprazole 150mg
chrissieworne

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely brilliant result, Chrissie. Congratulations and very well done :clap: :thumbup:

I think you might be having 'false hypo' symptoms, because although 4 is low, it's not in true hypo territory. I found this information at Blood Sugar 101:

"What is an Abnormally Low Blood Sugar?
"Blood sugars under 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/L) are considered to be hypoglycemic. However, if you are not on insulin or a drug that causes your pancreas to secrete insulin, a blood sugar slightly below this range, while it might be uncomfortable, is not dangerous unless there is evidence that it is continuing to drop.
"The dangerous levels of low blood sugar--the hypos that require a visit to the ER--are those in the 40 mg/dl (2.2 mmol/L) range and lower. At those levels unconsciousness and brain damage can occur. "

Again, I'm so impressed with what you've achieved :clap: