Progressive ?

Sweet enough

Hi
First of all I apologise for the downbeat tone of this thread, although I'm hoping it has a happy end !
I'm not long diagnosed with T2 and questions pop into my head occasionally.

I've read that Diabetes is a "Progressive" disease, and I'm struggling with that notion.

Does this mean the all or some of the complications are inevitable?

Does it mean we are only borrowing health by fighting and D will eventually outrun us in xyz years?

Can a person who controls his/her BGL, have as long and healthy an innings as someone not dx with diabetes?
Sorry again for being a bit morbid.

nannybarbara

Sweetie,

No, it doesn't necessarily mean a downward spiral as long as you look after your general health and keep your BGs under control.

I had gestational D during both pregnacies, and developed T2 when I was 33. For 30 years I controlled by diet first, then gliclazide (which exhausted my Beta cells) and now, unfortunately, by insulin. I don't have any complications AT ALL and I'm now 63!

That's not to say that something may not be lurking round the corner, but I'm doing everything I d***d well can to load the dice in my favour.

I've (nearly) always paid attention to carbohydrate intake to stop huge rises in BG. These forums have been marvellous for me - I can't imagine why I hadn't been here a few years ago.

Barb

mikey

Sweet enough,
I take the "Progressive" label as a challenge and I have a grumpy nurse to thank for my attitude.

At my second A1c I had made a marked improvement and I was really pleased.
This is what the nurse said; "Don't get too carried away with yourself, diabetes is a progressive disease and there is nothing you can do about it."
At my next A1c I had improved again and told her; "Progressing the right way isn't it!" :wink:

I believe we can control this condition and many other people on this forum agree.
I'm not suggesting it's easy but if you work at it I think you can be as healthy as most non diabetics.
Keep plugging away mate,
Mike.