proliferative retinopathy and Avastin

dani-a

Hi to everyone,
I have had diabetes for nearly 39 years and am now aged 42.
Not been in good control for all of my life but over the last few years have finaly managed to get a hold on everything.
My complication is the dreaded proliferative retinopathy, I have avoided laser surgery so far (due to the damage it can do to good eye tissue, plus I drive) and have opted to have Avastin injected into my eyes. I have had this done annually over the past three years but am desperate to talk to a fellow diabetic who is also having this done.....has anyone else been treated with Avastin for retinopathy?
I am also battling with my local hospital over the various things they wish to charge me for and again need to know if anyone else has had experiences of this.
Please help
Thanks

dani-a

Thanks Catherine for your reply and also the link...that proved really informative. Really appreciated :D

celiasjmb

Hi Dani

I had two Avastin injections last August and another very recently for maculopathy which developed after I'd had quite a lot of laser for retinopathy - I'd only discovered I had diabetes a few months before starting the laser treatment after visting the optician with a bloodshot eye - didn't have a clue before then that I was diabetic so it was damage limitation!

The link which Catherine gave I found very helpful and there's also info on the same site about retinopathy and laser if you need, or want, to know any more.

I fould the Avastin injections a doddle - most people that you mention it to are quite squeamish about the idea - but the actual injection only takes a couple of minutes and you'll be given some anaesthetic drops in your eye before then, so you should only notice a slight strach just as the fluid is injected. You's probably spend much longer waiting around first and, depending on the protocol where you have it done, expect to stay there for a short, or may be a bit longer time, as they'll want to know you're okay before your're dismissed.

As for charges, I think it must be due to what is commonly known as the postcode lottery. I haven't had to pay anything. I think hospital Trusts, and local Primary Care Trusts, who, as you probably know, are the people who control funding for GP practices and payments for patient treatment at hospital, can be greatly influenced by the work invidiual Consultants are particularly interest in. The hospital I attend has been using Avastin for over a year now.

Avastin is also used to treat AMD and when I've been for my treatment out of the half dozen or so there having the same injection I've usually been the only one not to have AMD and I've felt like a positive youngster (although I am in my late fifties).

Although I was advised not the expect that this treatment would improve my vision, it's done to stop it worsening, I did find it improved it last year (but it took a week or two to notice it). It's only been about ten days since my last injection, but again I've noticed an improvement, although I can't say whether it would have the same effect for retinopathy as in my case it's done to reduce the fluid build up caused by the maculopathy.

Hope all goes well with your teatment. :)