MichealSmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, Imperialist war, vegetables
Hi folks,

I saw the opthalmologist yesterday and it seems I have proliferative retinopathy. I had laser treatment on my left eye there and then and was told about scarring on my right, which may cause retinal detachment.

I have been warned off my bi-weekly football and light weightlifting, both of which have been great for controlling BG levels. It seems either could cause significant damage.

I'm 41, with 28 years T1 under my belt. I guess I always feared this bullet had my name on it. Now I am utterly terrified of blindness. Is this inevitable?

Anyone with any similar experience out there?

Help please :(

Micheál

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @MichealSmith and welcome to the forum.

All I can say is be guided by what your Ophthalmologist advises, you can still do light exercise such as walking which can help control bg levels whilst keeping you fit, but they do say when retinopathy is at the proliferative stage that any strenuous exercise and sudden head movements should be avoided.

I've been through what you are experiencing now but have been clear of retinopathy problems for the last 12 years, so there is still hope and you shouldn't give-up and fear the worst. I'm going to provide a link to a website that has some excellent information and advice on diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/proliferative.html

Reactions: 5 people

MichealSmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, Imperialist war, vegetables
Hi @MichealSmith and welcome to the forum.

All I can say is be guided by what your Ophthalmologist advises, you can still do light exercise such as walking which can help control bg levels whilst keeping you fit, but they do say when retinopathy is at the proliferative stage that any strenuous exercise and sudden head movements should be avoided.

I've been through what you are experiencing now but have been clear of retinopathy problems for the last 12 years, so there is still hope and you shouldn't give-up and fear the worst. I'm going to provide a link to a website that has some excellent information and advice on diabetic retinopathy:

http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/proliferative.html

Thank you so much, that is great advice and cause for optimism. I'm going to be so compliant from now on!

Reactions: 5 people