1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Propranolol

Discussion in 'Non-Diabetic Medication' started by diabetic12yrs, Aug 8, 2014.

1. diabetic12yrs

diabetic12yrs Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi. I am a type 1 diabetic for 12yrs. Recently i was put on a beta blocker which the doctor never mentioned to me, that it hides the symptoms of hypoglycemia. has any other type 1's had any issues with this? thanks

2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

I'll bump your post up for a reply from a Type 1. Are you taking them for anxiety or blood pressure?

• Like Like x 2
  3. diabetic12yrs

iv been taking them for anxiety

4. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take 1.25 mg bisoprolol which does take the edge off hypo symptoms but I still have good awareness. What dose are you on?

5. diabetic12yrs

am on 160mg for anxiety

6. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's quite a high dose :eek: it would be a good idea to discuss this with your doctor if it's masking your hypo symptoms

7. jack412

jack412 Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 2
  8. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Beta-blockers do not reduce anxiety itself, but can reduce some of the symptoms. For example, they can reduce shaking (tremor) and a fast heart rate. It is sometimes the lesser of two evils and your Dr may see the anxiety as a bigger problem for you.
    If you are concerned about the possibility of masking hypo symptoms then please speak to your Dr. but do not stop taking them as they have to be tapered off .

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook