prostate cancer

quasimodo

Hi Peeps
two years ago i was diagnosed with prostate cancer, december last year i was told that it had changed to a more aggressive type. the oncologist said that the only way forward for me was to have hormone therapy and radiotherapy. well ne problem is that since the injection of decapeptyl and daily tablets of bicalutamide my bloods have gone from a stable 6-7 to an unstable 25-35. i am an expat living in spain and to say the gps here are next to useless in this area. she said to me go and see your oncologist and see if he can help you ( if you have cold or something very simple they are ok). my qustion is , is there anyone out there that has had the same problem. as a type one you don't get blood strips anymore.

WhitbyJet

Oh what a horrible situation for you, why dont you get any more test strips, would have thought that its even more important than ever before to achieve good diabetic control, its a well known fact that cancer cells feed on glucose, the tighter your control the better your chances of a full recovery.
If your GP isnt helpful, do talk to your oncologist, who do you normally see for your diabetes?

I have found a few links that you might find helpful, but you really do need to see your medical team as a matter of urgency so that you can get things under control.

http://prostatecancerinfolink.net/2013/ ... more-17658

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer- ... emotherapy

http://cancer.emedtv.com/bicalutamide/b ... betes.html

http://www.canceractive.com/cancer-acti ... se%20cycle

Wishing you all the very best, please let us know how you are getting on.

quasimodo

thanks for the info. in answer to your question about strips no one in spain now gets strips due to the money crisis. as for the question about my medical team there is not not one. i am a pensioner moved out here 5 years ago, all pensioners in spain now pay 10% for their scripts and test strips here are on average 108 euros for 100 not a cheap as the uk

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Quas,
I was diagnosed with a bilateral stage 3 PC tumour ten years ago.
What is your PSA and tumour stage if you don't mind me asking?

I had radiotherapy (37 days) and hormone therapy for three years.

By the way, prostate tumours feed on testosterone, that is why one is given hormone blocking therapy.
The tumour stops growing if the hormone therapy works, but this only tends to work for a few years...hormone therapy is palliative...RADICAL radiotherapy could be curative...but most sane people with cancer don't talk about cures.
A ten years remission is pretty good.

I'm a type 2 and don't think it has anything to do with my PC.

You don't sound advanced enough to have mets which could affect internal organs like the liver but usually go to bone first.

regards
D.

quasimodo said:
Hi Peeps
two years ago i was diagnosed with prostate cancer, december last year i was told that it had changed to a more aggressive type. the oncologist said that the only way forward for me was to have hormone therapy and radiotherapy. well ne problem is that since the injection of decapeptyl and daily tablets of bicalutamide my bloods have gone from a stable 6-7 to an unstable 25-35. i am an expat living in spain and to say the gps here are next to useless in this area. she said to me go and see your oncologist and see if he can help you ( if you have cold or something very simple they are ok). my qustion is , is there anyone out there that has had the same problem. as a type one you don't get blood strips anymore.

WhitbyJet

quasimodo said:
thanks for the info. in answer to your question about strips no one in spain now gets strips due to the money crisis. as for the question about my medical team there is not not one. i am a pensioner moved out here 5 years ago, all pensioners in spain now pay 10% for their scripts and test strips here are on average 108 euros for 100 not a cheap as the uk

So you have an oncologist though? I hope he/she is going to help you with diabetic control. Do you have to stay in Spain, I mean if there are so many problems, is there a chance for you to come back to the UK?
As for test strips and meters, I was given a SD codefree meter and 200 strips and never used the meter/strips, still sealed and brand new, I would gladly send it over to you if its any help? The strips are cheap enough to buy on ebay.
You would have to make 5 posts on here before you can send PMs, if you wanted me to send you the meter and strips you can send a postal address via PM to me.

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Quasimodo,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, unfortunately PC is quite prevelant and is on the rise. The company I work for have just received a £4m technology transfer grant to develop a drug to target PC.

As said already hormones largely contribute to the survival and progression of PC, although the cancer can become castrate-resistant. Testosterone (and other hormones in the HPT Axis) have effects on insulin sensitivity and blood-glucose levels so it is no surprise your levels have changed. Are you taking insulin? You should probably be put on it if not but I would also advise looking at adjusting your diet as well.

J