PROTEIN C in BLOOD

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been looking at my last test results where my ha1c was 6.2 and noticed the Protein C Reactive was 11.1 and guide says should be between 0 and 5. The doctor at the time did not mention it. Any ideas if I should be worried ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C

catherinecherub

Hi Connie,

This explains the test and you may see something in this article that explains the rise.

A high or increasing amount of CRP in your blood suggests that you have an acute infection or inflammation but it does not help in identifying its location or the condition causing it. In people with chronic inflammatory conditions, high concentrations of CRP suggest a flare-up or that treatment has not been effective.
If the CRP concentration in your blood drops, it means that you are getting better and inflammation is being reduced.

When your results fall below 10 mg/L, you no longer have clinically active inflammation.

http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/understanding/analytes/crp/tab/test#what

Reactions: 2 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Catherine it says inflammation causes it so as I am just about to have hip replacement may be the cause. I will ask doctor to do another test to see if below 10 now. Thanks so much for info

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got back from doctors luckily had an appointment booked on another problem. She thinks could be my hip and will retest at end of August to see if gone down. Had a real telling off from doctor for stopping the oxicodone and going cold turkey now I know what a drug addict feels like who needs drugs ! She has made me go on a lighter dose and then in a month lower again until I can tolerate it. I have been so ill the last week not eaten a thing lost another half stone some strange woman looks at me when I look in mirror it's not me! I stopped because I hated falling asleep everywhere but silly me should have known better .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear connie, sorry to hear you've had these problems. Yes I probably would have done what you did and tried to give them up by just stopping taking them! Still not too long to wait now. I'm glad Catherine has answered your question already because I couldn't!

Reactions: 2 people

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hi Connie, I think regularly monitoring hs-CRP levels is valuable for diabetics generally in establishing overall immune/inflammatory status. But surgery is a known cause of raised CRP evels - how long after your hip replacement was this test done? I think next test in August may be more informative. Of course any one marker in isolation may be of limited value - you and your healthcare team will get much better value by looking at all blood/ urine, etc panels in light of existing conditions, medications and diet plus lifestyle. Multifactorial and not easy!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi Connie!
Hope you feel better soon! ((((((( big hugs))))))))

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Connie, I think regularly monitoring hs-CRP levels is valuable for diabetics generally in establishing overall immune/inflammatory status. But surgery is a known cause of raised CRP evels - how long after your hip replacement was this test done? I think next test in August may be more informative. Of course any one marker in isolation may be of limited value - you and your healthcare team will get much better value by looking at all blood/ urine, etc panels in light of existing conditions, medications and diet plus lifestyle. Multifactorial and not easy!
Thanks for your reply I have not had hip replacement yet due this August so could be down to inflammation ?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Connie!
Hope you feel better soon! ((((((( big hugs))))))))
Thanks Scandi now I am back on the drugs I do feel better. Sorry you had a bad day yesterday you are doing so well that fat face dress will be hangin off you soon . Have a lovely weekend x