1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Protein ratio.

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Charisma_1630, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Charisma_1630

Charisma_1630 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So I hear that if you eat low carb meal you need to inject for 50(ish) % of your protein?

If for example, my lunch ratio is usually 1.5 unit to 10 grams of carb, do I still use that ratio when it's just a protein dish? Say an omelette with lots of eggs? Or will a lower ratio be required. I know it's probably different for everyone but I was wondering generally what people do.

2. vxrich

vxrich Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, yes I think most people bolus for 50% of protein. Give it a go and adjust to suit. Some people find a difference when eating just protein on its own to when they eat a meal of a mix of carbs and protein. I bolus for both and seems to work for me. Only way is to experiment

• Like Like x 2
  3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'm type 2 and on a lousy attempt of the lchf diet to lose my 8 stones over weight. I've just come to the conclusion I was taking my protein for granted and that it shouldn't affect my high insulin resistance. Boy am I wrong. I know not as dangerous as type 1 insulin dependants but I thank you for sharing this findings with me/us. I never even gave protein the respect it needs in diabetes. I am guilty of eating too much protein and not enough vegtables. I very rarely look never mind ingest sugar or medium/high carbs. (Mind u trick or treat court me out).
    Thank you for this tread. It has opened my eyes! :)

4. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When you start blousing for protein, you may find you need to split the dose. Obviously your mileage may vary. I find chicken (lean) takes about an hour to show. Fattier red mates nay take longer, sometimes 2-3 hours before it starts to show. The good news is that the spike is a lot lower so I find much more controllable.

Bolusing not blousing!

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook