1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Protein shake causing high bg 15 hours later??

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by andyginn32, Apr 28, 2020.

1. andyginn32

andyginn32 Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone,

Recently in the last 2 days I’ve started working out and taking protein shakes alongside it. But overnight my blood sugars slowly creep up to 16-18 mmol, and I don’t even know why.

I’ve been logging my food intake, and 2 nights ago I blamed it on having weetabix before bed, but then last night i had pasta and this ended up doing the same. Tonight I’m going to test with no carbs if it’s the food doing it, or my body is processing protein or other foods weirdly.

Is there any advice which anyone can give as to what might be going on? As I’m really confused, thank you!

2. EddieA12

EddieA12 · Member

Hi. I take it you checked the nutritional info on the protein power (some are also loaded with carbs). Also, if you’re taking it with milk that will cause your sugars to rise.
    I’m guessing you workout is in the evening, then you eat (or have a shake) then your sugars go up!?
    I personally have found I need a bit of quick acting insulin with a shake, even one with no carbs and taken with almond milk (no carbs).
    It does sound like the balance between carbs, insulin and exercise aren’t perfectly balanced (which is easier said then done!).

3. andyginn32

Yeah it’s got 54g of carbs, but I’m exercising midday? I inject for the carbs but I’m so confused by the morning highs as I haven’t have them before like this..

4. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Protein shakes always affect me and I have the same overnight issues... I do better with just a standard higher protein diet

• Like Like x 1
  5. sno0opy

sno0opy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are some studies that suggest that excess protein converts to glucose on about a 2:1 ratio (100g of protein to 50g of glucose.

If your body cant use it all is protein it breaks it down to get rid of it and it becomes glucose - often with ab if delay. To be honest i read a but of conflicting data on that but it seems to have at least a decent ground in fact.

One report on the subject:

http://journal.diabetes.org/diabetesspectrum/00v13n3/pg132.htm

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Firstly it is a total myth that you need protein shakes after a workout unless you are a pro athlete or are very old? I am a type 1 PT with an interest in nutrition hence my PoV that proteinshakes are junk foods which will spke you more than real food!
    A protein shake with 54g. carbs probably has plenty of fruit sugars in it and yes protein can be turned to sugar via the liver so if you are going to do this I'd make your own. I do have protein bars but mainly because they are relatively low carb and are a treat for me NOT because I need protein.
    The other thing that can spike you is the exercise itself. Especially weights and/or HIIT just because of the physiological stress you are putting your body under. It is a good thing in general so keep it up but I would just eat your normal meat with a decent amoutn of protein/fat in it then see if you get a correpsonding lowering post exercise.
    Time of day also makes a difference so morning exercise can makes us more repsonsive to the higher cortisol levels already present.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Gluconeogenesis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. andyginn32

Hi thank you for this! My body never done this before, I was an academy football player working out 4 days a week fitness training and hitting the gym. I’m looking to gain weight and muscle mass hence the protein shake is really good for high calories, what would be a good replacement for the shake? Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. EddieA12

EddieA12 · Member

Hi. Did you have a night with no carbs? Did it make a difference?
    I agree that you don’t need a ‘shake’ immediately after training, but if you want to build muscle you will need a good amount of protein in your diet throughout the day. As a guide you can take your weight in KG double it and consume that many grams of protein (ie. if you weigh 80kg consume.160grams of protein throughout the day), and try not to consume the bulk of it in one meal!
    BCAA’s could be used instead of a shake. Although you’ll need to ensure you are consuming enough ‘quality’ calories to build muscle and put weight on.
    I would highly recommend buying a book called Diabetic Muscle and Fitness. This book goes into detail about training, gaining muscle and how it impacts on your diabetes.

10. andyginn32

Thank you for this! I’m trying today everything the same, but no protein shake. So will see how my bloods go. I’m hoping I can find an outcome.

11. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

12. Rylando88

Rylando88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I train a lot and I’ve noticed I have to be careful with how much sugar is in my protein powder and protein bars, I always buy ones that have less than 5g of sugar per 100g if that’s any help x

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook