Prunes. Advice please.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I am in the middle of an online Tesco shop and I need some advice on prunes for keeping me regular.

The choice I have is tinned, bagged which I assume is fresh (which appeals to me as I can eat when I want) or prune juice.

I have Googled prune juice and apparently it is diabetic friendly....

Has anyone any experience of eating prunes or drinking prune juice ??

Many thanks.

collectingrocks

Hi this might be too late but I would probably avoid the tinned stuff as it is likely to be loaded with sugar and some kind of preservative

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
I wouldn't buy tinned for that very reason.

I have gone for a 350 grm bag for £3.50.I was just wondering if they will make me spike.

Just hope it works as my stomach is at a standstill. I have cut out so many foods but not replaced them and need to lose some weight but I am suffering somewhat.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Skip the prunes. Why not add more veg to your diet ? Cauli, calabrese, not too many root veg, I feel,that natural is best if possible, roughage.
Hoe this helps
Alan

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was diagnosed Type 2 in mid June.

I have cut a lot of foods from my diet as I now eat to my meter.

But I suffer from constipation and I have no idea why.

I have 1 cup of tea first thing in the morning and drink spring water all day. 1 litre at the moment.

I eat a diet with lots of mushrooms,tomatoes, broccoli, onions and courgettes.

I go easy on the fruit as I have spiking problems but reckon I eat a fairly good diet.

My constipation is a mystery to me. It really is.

Foods I have cut down on or cut out are bread,pasta,sugar,root veg... All the usual diabetic culprits are now gone.

I thought prunes were a 'natural' way of dealing with it.....

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
Have you tried oat bran? Start off with a small amount added to some porridge and then gradually increase the amount of bran you use.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Natural fibre - dark green leafy vegetables, savoy cabbage, greens, kale, sprouts, have a large portion every day with lots of fluid and do some exercise, especially walking for an hour a day. Result.

Keeps me going anyway, I think that the prunes even in a natural state would be high in sugar and the oat bran would spike me but all you can do is test with your meter.

annew

Know how you feel!
You could also try upping your water intake - 1 litre is not much, I think 2 litres daily is supposed to be the target. Tap water is fine you don't have to buy spring water.
I tried senna - for me the results were more agonising than the constipation! just shows we are all different.
My system settled down to normal eventually - hope yours will too.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well the whole prunes worked a treat.

But they spiked me to 10.7 which is the 2nd highest reading I have ever had....

I have decided to eat more food starting today.

I have always watched my fat content. It's a hard habit to stop. Also now I have to watch my carbs and sugar means I am not eating a lot. Not losing any weight really either so I have to eat more food.

But I feel a whole lot better.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have to lose a lot of weight ? if not try to up your fat intake a little but only good fat though ,butter, coconut oil etc
CAROL

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
carty said:
Do you have to lose a lot of weight ? if not try to up your fat intake a little but only good fat though ,butter, coconut oil etc
CAROL

Unfortunately I want to lose 5 stones.

I have never had a weight problem 'til I was 50. More fat on a greasy chip etc...

Anyway,combination of the menopause... Diagnosis of Emphasyma.... Partner dying and me moving and giving up gardening... Diagnosis of Type 2 and fatty liver disease.
I have kindof lost it. Am happy to hibernate in my flat with my Parrot Archie. I feel if I could lose the weight all would be solved but now I am not so sure. Think I am kindof happy being 5 stone overweight.

I need some help but am unsure who to ask....

K

Kat100

Hi I have lost 3 stones this year, with the help of dietitein via gp it was not easy. But you have been through a very sad time, sorry to hear that. Hope you get some help soon....
How is Archie, I did read about him, hope he is getting better with his trust etc and that he has settled into his new home with you, he sounds lovely....tc both of you, love to you both Kat x