1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Public Health England is reviewing the dietary advice conveyed in the "eatwell plate" -

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Bluetit1802, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

• Like Like x 6
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi I saw that today on the news at my dad's house. Sounds a good and sensible idea to eat more fruit, nuts and seeds, vegetables and using olive oil. A Mediterranean diet has always been classed as a healthy and nutritional diet. :) But .......... I think a much firmer approach to try and change peoples unhealthy eating habits needs to be put across strongly ie breakfast at Macdonald's pizza's, take away's, (Indian and Chinese ) constant ready made meals, ( which, to some people, could be a mars bar, a packet of Doritos and a double choc milkshake.:eek: I do hope people take real notice of this news and at least ,make some changes :) :angelic:

RRB

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That was just my pudding, after the meal. :)
    Well, after the 'proper' pudding after the meal in fact.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

This is the article mentioned.http://pmj.bmj.com/content/early/2014/11/14/postgradmedj-2014-133103.full
    Here's what they were told to eat in the Predimed trial as mentioned in the article. (translated courtesy of google) It's not really new , the idea that a Med diet has been healthy goes back at least to Ancel Keys , too big a change for many in the UK? Higher fat but not low carb.

There is also a complete shopping list for a week complete with quantities for one person. It goes through google translate
    But maybe all important was the extra nuts[ 15 g of walnuts (about 3 units) 7.5 g of almonds (about 6 units) Hazelnut 7.5 g (about 8 units)] or extra olive oil (50ml a day) that the two med groups 'supplemented' with.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I watched Malhotra being interviewed on BBC Breakfast this morning. He's keen and has already lost one stone. He could be a great asset if he spoke a little more slowly.

A lot to get into two minutes I suppose.

• Like Like x 5
  6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

No better diet IMHO :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hope you thoroughly enjoyed it then :wacky: o_O

• Like Like x 1
  8. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh yes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

The Food Programme on Radio 4 at 1232 today is about 'The Eatwell Guide'. Sheila Dillon looks at the Eatwell Plate.
    It looks like the program will be questioning the NHS dietary advice. Dr Malhotra and Dr David Unwin will be commenting.
    Might be worth listening to. Unfortunately I won't be able to listen, but will catch up afterwards on the BBC iplayer.

Screenshot 2018-07-01 at 09.04.55.png

• Like Like x 3
  10. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll have a listen. I notice the preview above mentions T2 reversal. I was disappointed to see in a local paper that a GP had pronounced a women "free" of diabetes after losing weight with a slimming-club. "Reversal", "free" and "cured" get muddled up in media coverage. Still, the R4 programme sounds like a positive approach.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks.

12. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Of course the Med diet can be extremely varied but any version should be better than the eat well plate that needs to go "base over apex". :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll have a listen to that too.
    The Predimed trial got withdrawn (something to do with tmethodology) but it sounds like a decent step forward with its higher fat content delivered via the golden nectar(EVOO) and nuts.
    I fear it will be misinterpreted as spag bol, prosecco and tiramasu!

• Like Like x 1
  15. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This is how it went:
    Bottom line is that Sheila Dillon came down in favour of changing the guidelines and now I should get back to the day job!

Interview with woman whose husband had a heart attack despite following the Eatwell plate guide and rowing..She changed his diet to low carb and got him healthy again.
    Mention of the campaigns of medical students and young docs campaigning to get better training to deal with NCDs..
    Then Malhotra and Unwin discussing the low carb diet. Balanced review of Eatwell plate's good points (green veg) and the aim of cutting down on starchy carbs as well as sugar. Plate is overloaded with carbs given the proportion of the population with a tendency to be diabetic/pre diabetic. Even the fruit (bananas and raisins) are high GI so not useful to a diabetic.
    £38,000 saved in David Unwin's practice and his work in reporting to the parliamentary group on diabetes. A patient who reversed his type 2 diabetes is interviewed.
    Dr Asseem Malhotra reminds us that insulin resistance is the biggest risk factor for heart attacks with IR being driven by processed carbs/sugar. The 70's change to low fat diet caused this with an oversupply of cheap, starchy foods.
    Thameside and Glossop Hospital (deprieved area) is making diet the lunchpin of a revolution in healthcare. July 4th the hospital is going sugar free to beat the high levels of cancer, heart disease, mental health. The chief exec admits that the current advice is confusing. Removing temptations and making it simple in the canteen and on the wards. No vending machines! Evidence based approach to get sugar out of the hospital to lead by example. Chef making sugar free biscuits (????).discussing high fibre from veg, reduced carbs level and grilled meat (so far all on the same song sheet!).
    PFI built hospitals have a commercial underpinning so are given incentives to be have sugary drinks made available to the patients (a contractual obligation). This drives a revolving door of healthcare (Dr Malhotra) again.
    Chief exec of T and G Hospital is working to change the contracts so that not all hospitals have to have a Costa Coffee etc.
    Low fat diets produce high fat people.
    What will it take to get the Eatwell plate revised? Malhotra says make sure that the guidance is based upon the TOTALITY of evidence. The recent revision of the Eatwell plate was biased by ties to Big Food.
    Programme put these points to PHE speaking to Professor Levy (head of nutritonal science at PHE.
    The comeback - lots of noise from the low carb but he claims that the reasons people are less healthy because they don't follow the Eatwell guide and that LCHF is faddy and carbohydrates are needed (claims that brain can only work on ingested carbohydrates!!!). He thinks the Eatwell committee looked at all the evidence and did not find any favouring a low carb approach.
    He is challenged on the food industry bias on the committee (SACN) which he denies (conflicts are declared and the appointments process is vigorous and transparent.).
    Finished with the type 2 who reversed his diabetes discussing his diet:
    Full fat with no bread, pasta and rice which he really enjoys and wishes that other people could too!

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I just listened to the programme and I thought it was going quite well until the male professor from PHE was interviewed. Apparently we have to eat lots of carbohydrates because the brain can only process glucose. We may have found the source of the problem.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Those poor keto atheletes who came 1st and 2nd in the Tour of France, they obviously haven't got a brain cell between them!
    (heavy irony!)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  18. jlarsson

jlarsson Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Usain Bolt ate chicken nuggets during the 08 Olympics, didn't do him much harm did it. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

My thoughts exactly. All was going really well until he appeared right at the end.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Wait until he's 50 and see if he develops Type 2?
    If he's been carb loading like many athletes do then it may well be on the cards..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook