Pulsatile Tinnitus and Diabetes - Have you had or got both?

Have you suffered Pulsatile Tinnitus with your diabetes?

• Yes - I have it.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Yes - Even after weight loss I still have it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - My sugars are under control, but I still have it.

• Yes - I've done both weight loss and sugar control and I still have it.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Not any more - I've lost weight.

• Not any more - Both sugar and weight loss are under control.

• Not any more - My sugars are under control.

• I have regular tinnitus

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No I've never had it.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other - Please respond to thread

• Total voters

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I'm trying to put together possible evidence of a connection between Pulsatile Tinnitus and Diabetes and would appreciate any responses I can get.

For those of you that don't know, Pulsatile Tinnitus is where you have tinnitus in your ear (or ears) and it goes in time with your heart.
This is the sound of mine - here

Regular tinnitus is where you have a ringing in your ears that does not correspond with your heart - this is often due to hearing loss such as attending many gigs without adequate ear protection, but can happen just in general.

The reason I am trying to gather evidence of this condition in connection with diabetes is that for many years before my diabetic diagnosis I suffered with PT and was passed from doctor to doctor. They decided (eventually) I may have Idiopathic Intra-cranial Hypertension and I was due to have a lumbar puncture for diagnosis, but I have since stopped having the intense headaches and the PT associated with the condition.
I began to wonder if this was because I had control of the diabetes (and had some unintentional weight loss) that I was diagnosed with in 2013 (i had the ear noise since 2011).
A friends' father was diagnosed with diabetes also and hadn't been taught how to take his medication properly. He also suffered with PT and since correcting his meds & some weight loss, he no longer has the noise.

My theory is that if your sugars are high, they are thicker and they struggle to get through the smaller tubes in your head, thus causing the pulsing noise that can sometimes be heard by others.
If this theory and evidence is at all likely, I would like this condition to be added to the list of diagnosing factors in future diabetes infographics and doctors diagnosing tools.
I feel I would have gotten better sooner (and done less damage to my nerves) had this been a key factor in my diagnosis, as both the diabetes team and the IIH doctors denied the likelihood of them being linked, but I am unconvinced.
I do realise that weight loss may indeed be one of the factors in the absence of the noise, but I remain unconvinced because when I lose control of my sugars occasionally, the noise returns- admittedly its a lot less loud, but it is there.

I would love to hear your stories and opinions on this matter, and ultimately for you to take part in my poll. Thank you all in advance.
I am happy to explain anything I have said further as well.

- Rosie

Krispy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Rosie,

your post is sooooo interesting that I had to answer you. I had pulsatile tinnitus for about 1 1/2 years and went to several docs to no avail until finally one doctor told me that it will never go away and prescribed me beta blockers.
I am not a fan of meds and never took them. Anyways, last month I was diagnosed with insulin resistance/pre-diabetes at a totally unrelated doctor's visit (I had given up looking for a solution to the PT) and was prescribed Metformin. The PT went away literally over night and am sleeping through the night again after 1 1/2 years of devastation.
I would be happy to hear your story and share more of mine....
I think we are unto something!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, sometimes I have pulsating beat in the right ear only. Your post was really interesting to read and coincides with my pulsatile tinnitus, which is beating now, but it doesn't cause me any problems.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a very strong connection between insulinemia and inner ear issues. Very long but interesting video interviews with neurotologist Dr. Kenneth Brookler MD:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I quit eating grains and peanuts mine stopped. Could be food intolerences

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Regular tinnitus is where you have a ringing in your ears that does not correspond with your heart - this is often due to hearing loss such as attending many gigs without adequate ear protection, but can happen just in general.
Not in my case mine was caused by working first line with jet engine aircrast in the RAF for over 12 years without adequate ear protection.

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not in my case mine was caused by working first line with jet engine aircrast in the RAF for over 12 years without adequate ear protection.
Me too. 34 years in the Army working with and testing guns, armoured vehicles and helicopter jet engines. High frequency hearing loss and continuous pulsating tinnitus in both ears.

Regards

Bluebell

Sent from my SM-T810 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It has now been found that passive ear protection does not work so the military now uses active ear defenders.