PUMP an SOMOGYI Effect or Dawn Phenomenon?????

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Most of us chase Moonbeams with our BG or Sugar control
I was told 33 years ago by drawing and plotting a graph that I had found the "SOMOGYI EFFECT"
since then I have been told: "It does not Exist" "Its RUBBISH" "Its YOUR BAD CONTROL"
When I was on the Needle I injected 4 to 6 times a Day, Tested 6 or 8 times a Day, Kept records
on A4 sheets from 1994 -- 2009 of "ALL" my BG, Carbohydrate, Insulin amounts, and still do with my Pump! Carb has been Counted and Weighed since Diagnosed 3 Mar 1976 BUT I still have my SOMOGYI Effect or Bounce or Rebound? NOT Dawn Phenomenon!

YES mine is SOMOGYI Effect which: is!, is not!, is! the same!!! AND does or does not exist????
Question How can it be? there are Hundreds of explanations of both, ALL? with NO HELP

Most Diabetics have some Carb before they go to bed
So they don't go Low, Hypo, or Coma in the Night, BUT again how many wake up feeling like they have been slept on by a BL****Y Great Elephant, If you check the Time its around 4am early Morning
I have just been told by a very High Consultant Don't Basal inject in the Night which I don't because
I get very bad Hypos at 4 am?
A Doctor in the USA said why? don't we all get together to try and sort it
Hence the Topic H>E>L>P

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
THE DAWN PHENOMENON.
Posted about it on here many times. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7885&hilit=+dawn+phenomenon#p73438

Nocturnal hypoglycemia (low blood sugars), followed by morning hyperglycemia (high blood sugars) for several nights is an indication of the Somogyi effect. It may be necessary to get help from a doctor to resolve it, because most cases are the result of medications that are mismatched to the patient's needs.

THE SOMEGI EFFECT
Also known as “rebound hyperglycemia” and named after the physician who first described it, the Somogyi effect is a pattern of undetected hypoglycemia followed by hyperglycemia. Typically, this happens in the middle of the night, but can also occur when too much insulin is circulating in the system. The cause of the Somogyi effect is said to be “man-made”—that is, a result of insulin or diabetes pills working too strongly at the wrong time.

During periods of hypoglycemia, the body releases hormones which cause a chain reaction to release stored glucose. The end result is that the glucose level can swing too high in the other direction, causing hyperglycemia.

How can you test for the Somogyi effect?
This is the fun part. Set your alarm and wake up between 2 and 3 a.m. and test your blood glucose. Low blood glucose levels could signify the Somogyi effect is in action.

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
Thanks CUGILA BUT

you have just proved what we all know lots of information about a "Mr Somogyi"
man made! or should I say Doctor/Consultant induced?
You can read a hundred examples of History same as yours all over the W,W,Web
Don't seem to help?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Ah well. You can't say I didn't try........ :D