Pump arrived today - freaking out a little

scottishkate

Okay so my new pump arrived in the post today and all of a sudden I'm having major doubts :roll:

Did anyone else start to panic/change their mind when that little box finally arrived?

I'm meant to start pumping in May but I'm seriously starting to really not want it - I'm sure it didn't look that big/obvious/unsuited to bodycon dresses when I first started thinking about starting pump therapy...

Will it really make that much difference to my control? (my last hba1c was 6.2 by low carbing) Will it make exercsing more difficult/easier to predict bs outcomes? Can you really hide it successfully in tight clothing? And, um, does it get in the way when you 'you know what'?! Is it more painful than injecting (which is pretty much painless)? Does it make you feel more like 'a diabetic'?

Help me please!

Kate :oops:

jopar

Hi kate

I was elated indeed when my consultant told me that I could have pump therapy after 2 ½ years of fighting for it… That was in the January and I had to wait until June before even getting my hands on a pump, didn’t get mine until the day I started on the pump… I did have a reality check and thought ‘god’ what have I done, what happens if I don’t like it etc, but a year on I wouldn’t return to MDI, they would have to fight every inch of the way if they attempted to retrieve the pump off me lol

It is natural to be a bit hesitant, as you need to relearn diabetes, how to control, take on a totally new regime so it’s a bit like starting diabetes all over again… A complete leap of faith into the unknown…

If you have a chance to fiddle with the pump and read the manual inside out, a good book to get which is quite often called the pumpers bible, is pumping insulin by john walsh, it explains everything you really need to know and understand about pumping..

Good luck for May and don’t worry about any doubts that you might have as these are natural… How would you have responded if someone asked you how you would cope becoming a diabetic and having to inject? I suspect you would describe all the worries and concerns that you have over pumping!

scottishkate

Hi Jopar,

Thanks for your advice - I think I just need some reassurance. I was diagnosed when I was eight (20 years ago) so I guess injecting is totally normal for me. I don't have to think about it too much - I know what to inject, how insulin affects me, what to do when I go out drinking, how lack of sleep, or stress, or excitment affects me and my insulin regime! I suppose it's the 'great unknown' which is really scary.

I also guess I've been very lucky getting my pump. I told my clinic I wanted one about a year ago and because I was 'clued-up' on endocronology and had done my research (their words not mine!) they said yes straightaway and I just had to wait for the funding to come through. I haven't had to do any Dafne type courses or anything - just told to show up in May :shock:

I suppose I should count myself lucky in actually getting a pump and try it out. It's very scary though :|

Katie x

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I start on the pump on the 9th of march!! I can't wait!

you can disconnect when you... you know what! hehe. On another forum a while ago we refered to that as a game of ping pong lol. dont ask why, it just worked and the kids on the forum didn't have a clue heeh.

Slinger

i got my pump before christmas and could play around with it to get use to and started using it after the new year. i never had any doubts what so ever about using the pump.

injecting the cannula is not painful at all. i have an introducer that makes sure the cannula is in straight and use the flexlink 8mm cannulas. i would rather inject once in 3 days instead of 12, ok the cannula is there all the time but not noticed.

which pump are you going to be using? i have the accu chek spirit, which doesnt have the pre filled cartridges but not hard to do.

pumpinpatsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I've had my Animas since Oct 2008 and I love it - I will not be giving it back lol. It is so much easier than injection with a pen, and so much easier to manage as you can refine it so perfectly. I found when I went out I needed to carry my pens anyway. Wearing it is so much easier. I tuck it in my bra, or attach it like a pager to my waistband.

lesley1978

Slinger said:
i got my pump before christmas and could play around with it to get use to and started using it after the new year. i never had any doubts what so ever about using the pump.

injecting the cannula is not painful at all. i have an introducer that makes sure the cannula is in straight and use the flexlink 8mm cannulas. i would rather inject once in 3 days instead of 12, ok the cannula is there all the time but not noticed.

which pump are you going to be using? i have the accu chek spirit, which doesnt have the pre filled cartridges but not hard to do.

Hi Slinger,

I know this is an older topic but I have been discussing going on a pump and Sharon Fisher (diabetic consultant at Warrington) is referring me for a pump. How long did it take for you to get through and was it a gruelling process that you had to go through? Sharon said that the uptake is quite good now but I am just really hoping that I get accepted for it! I've had 13 years of it now and enough is enough!