Pump Clinic

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This afternoon I have my first clinic appointment since starting my pump in November and it is also exactly 3 months since my start date.

I have already been warned that my HbA1c is likely to be higher than it has previously been. When it was done in September it was sitting at 46.0 mmol (6.4%), hopefully it's not gone up too much :confused:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You will be fine, so try not to worry. (easier said than done I know :)

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you think its gone up?

did you have issues with hypo?
Yeah I used to have a lot of hypos. The Dr always said how good my HbA1c was but I always thought it was maybe artificially low.

My control has not been as good since going on the pump but also alot more steady with less hypos.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it sounds as though the hyposs were one of the main factors on moving on to the pump, so its doing the job it was intended to do..........:)

its all about fine tuning now.........:)

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yeah I used to have a lot of hypos. The Dr always said how good my HbA1c was but I always thought it was maybe artificially low.

My control has not been as good since going on the pump but also alot more steady with less hypos.
Sounds like the hypos fixed as Novo says and fine tuning is the name of the game. Now you are more confident check your basals again then start to fine tune with small adjustments :) Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Well that's a plus if ever there was one :)

There's a book that comes highly recommended on the forum and was suggested to me (by Carbsrok I think) when I mentioned last year I was switching to a pump, it's called Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts and is an excellent read, it goes into great detail about getting the basal rates right and you should find it useful for fine tuning your bg control.

Good luck and hope your Hba1c isn't as bad as you they think it will be.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that's a plus if ever there was one :)

There's a book that comes highly recommended on the forum and was suggested to me (by Carbsrok I think) when I mentioned last year I was switching to a pump, it's called Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts and is an excellent read, it goes into great detail about getting the basal rates right and you should find it useful for fine tuning your bg control.

Good luck and hope your Hba1c isn't as bad as you they think it will be.
Yeah I have Pumping Insulin and it is a good book.
Hba1c was 45 or 6.3% so actually went down!

iHs

@dtennant9

Although an a1c of 6.3% might seem excellent to a lot of people, be careful that your ability to recogonise the hypo feeling doesnt drop below 3.3mmol before you start to feel the symptoms. If it does, then adjust your control and let bg rise a bit higher as too many diabetics lose their hypo awareness and then problems arise with not being able to recogonise it all.

Reactions: 8 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dtennant9

Although an a1c of 6.3% might seem excellent to a lot of people, be careful that your ability to recogonise the hypo feeling doesnt drop below 3.3mmol before you start to feel the symptoms. If it does, then adjust your control and let bg rise a bit higher as too many diabetics lose their hypo awareness and then problems arise with not being able to recogonise it all.
That's actually one of the things the Dr discussed with me but he was happy that I have good hypo signs.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BAck to this lovely place this afternoon for my MOT. Will be interesting to see what the results are now after 8 months on the pump. Likely to be a higher Hba1c on this occasion if the prediction on the DiaConnect app is to be believed.

I have had two colds, a throat infection and a very stressful period since my last one though so things are looking better now. :D