Pump criteria

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I am Type1 although Type 3c as my diabetes was caused by severe pancreatitis June 2014. Swapped from 2 mixed insulin injections to 4 daily insulin injection last December because when I was constantly sick I couldn't control my sugars. 3 novarapid with meals and 1 lantus in the evening. On the new regime my Hbaic has come down to 6.8, last week.

How do I get, qualify for a pump?
Would I be better of physically?
I am 57 years old , does that exclude me?
Never done a DAFNE or equivalent course.
My practice nurse has just gone on 12 months maternity leave with no replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Janeliz,
you need to be under a hospital consultant and ask for a pump. Age is no barrier I can assure you.
You do need to be able to carb count though and if you can't then go on a course as part of the qualifying criteria. Haven't got the link handy but look up INPUT which is a very good site and charity that helps people to get a pump, the NICE guide lines are on the site.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
Hi Janeliz,
you need to be under a hospital consultant and ask for a pump. Age is no barrier I can assure you.
You do need to be able to carb count though and if you can't then go on a course as part of the qualifying criteria. Haven't got the link handy but look up INPUT which is a very good site and charity that helps people to get a pump, the NICE guide lines are on the site.

Thank you.