Pump disconnection and reconnection

SiGreenwood

Just a quick question. I got my pump on Wednesday, it's the Animas 2020, and I'm trying it this week with Saline.

This morning I disconnected the pump while I had a shower, about 15 - 20 minutes, when I came to re connect it I found that there was some air in the tubing, about 3mm of air was visible at the canula end.

The only way I could think of getting rid of this air was by doing a Bolus until the saline started to come through. This worked but it then screws up the IOB readings etc..

Any suggestions as to what I should have done and why air got in there in the first place. The only reason I can think is the pump and tubing cooled down while it was away from my body and this caused air to be sucked back into the tubing.

TIA.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya,
My younger daughter uses an Animas 2020. I cannot recall us having had this problem on disconnecting, not sure why it has happened? However, to get rid of the air I would do a 'prime' rather than a 'bolus', like you would if you were routinely changing the tube. Usually I find it takes about 8-10 units to prime the tube. This should not mess up your IOB, because presumably the pump knows the difference between a 'prime' and a 'bolus'. Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Sue

SiGreenwood

Not sure why it happened either. It discuss it next week when I start on Insulin.

The prime option seems a good way around it, or maybe even the the fill Canula. I never thought of those at the time.

Thanks.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi again,
I think the 'fill cannula' option will only fill up the little tube under the skin (only 0.3 of a unit to fill the cannula), it won't get the air out of the tube. Good idea to ask at clinic - we wrote a load of questions down to ask and even had the Animas rep come and give us a training session. It was very helpful. I hope it all goes well for you, we think the pump is great!
Sue