Pump help!!

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Sorry if somebody has already posted this somewhere else, but with a pump are you supposed to change the insulin every few days as it is kept warmer than in pens? I'm due an infusion set change, and only have 1ml of insulin left in the cartridge so wondering if I should change both at same time? The insulin has been in since Friday.

Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Cannulas you change every 3 days if Tethlon , Steel every 2 days and your cartridge either when empty or after 6 days at the most so they say. I just change when cartridge empty which is about 10 days for me and haven't noticed any change in the insulin when weather is warmer.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll soon learn what works best for you. When I first started on my pump I religiously changed my set every 3 days and only changed the cartridge when it was empty, which may have been on day 4 or 5. I have learnt now how much insulin I generally use in a 3 day period and only draw up that amount so that I change both set and cartridge together every 3 days. My memory is shot to pieces anyway so having to do different things on different days just didn't work for me.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow Lucie, my commissioning group would shoot me if I wasted money by changing the cartridge every 3 days :eek:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
By the accuchek bible (instructions for me). Works perfectly.
Set change every 2 days;
Insulin every 6 days, no matter what the weather.. I work outdoors and like today, working with pump on my arm in sunshine....no probs... However my pump is not covered by layers if clothes in this heat, don't know if this makes a difference...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mine wouldn't as I do re fill them again and only chuck them after about 4 re fills lol

That's the best way to break your pump as the lubricant in the cartridge would have gone by then so it puts one heck of a strain on the pump when pushing the insulin through.

H

Hooked

I was told by DSN to change the whole lot every 3 days no matter how much insulin is left. So that's what I do.

Reactions: 4 people

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankfully a 2ml cartridge lasts about 2 1/2 days. About as long as a cannula set for me. I have changed set more often though if it get irritated.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At the moment I change steel needles every 2-3 days, reservoir when I've run 3 ml through it which is about 9 days and one or two refills, at which point I demote it to emergency spare (carried) and chuck the old spare, and I change the tubes somewhere in between the two, but roughly every time I remove the reservoir to refill or replace it.

Today I had to do a battery change which was a bloody hassle while shepherding two small kids through lunch against a deadline to get them to an appointment. The manufacturers could possibly make the battery replacement sequence (Animas Vibe) more pointlessly complex, but it would take a massive effort.

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like a lot roche accuk chek users I'm on site every 3 days cartridge very 6. However if there's a problem this time frame may be shortened.

H

Hooked

At the moment I change steel needles every 2-3 days, reservoir when I've run 3 ml through it which is about 9 days and one or two refills, at which point I demote it to emergency spare (carried) and chuck the old spare, and I change the tubes somewhere in between the two, but roughly every time I remove the reservoir to refill or replace it.

Today I had to do a battery change which was a bloody hassle while shepherding two small kids through lunch against a deadline to get them to an appointment. The manufacturers could possibly make the battery replacement sequence (Animas Vibe) more pointlessly complex, but it would take a massive effort.

Oh no, is it very complicated, apart from needing a coin to open it up for the battery? I haven't needed to change mine yet!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh no, is it very complicated, apart from needing a coin to open it up for the battery? I haven't needed to change mine yet!
The coin is the easy part. The hard part is, due to stupid design and no other good reason, you have to reset the whole pump as if you had done a reservoir change and set change, and it loses all current information like IOB, temp basal. Their helpful suggestion is to do a battery change at the same time as you are planning a full reservoir and set change. They fail to also suggest "five hours after your last bolus and make sure you are not feeling unwell or exercising". Muppets.

H

Hooked

The coin is the easy part. The hard part is, due to stupid design and no other good reason, you have to reset the whole pump as if you had done a reservoir change and set change, and it loses all current information like IOB, temp basal. Their helpful suggestion is to do a battery change at the same time as you are planning a full reservoir and set change. They fail to also suggest "five hours after your last bolus and make sure you are not feeling unwell or exercising". Muppets.
Oh no, I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to bear it in mind!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Even though the IOB is missing you can see it in history so you know exactly when it was given :)
I'm sure the old 2020 manual said to change the battery before a meal bolus. It only takes a couple of mins to change though even if it's a complete pain in the bumsical.