1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pump help!!

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by AlexandraMarnie89, May 16, 2014.

1. AlexandraMarnie89

AlexandraMarnie89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi,

Sorry if somebody has already posted this somewhere else, but with a pump are you supposed to change the insulin every few days as it is kept warmer than in pens? I'm due an infusion set change, and only have 1ml of insulin left in the cartridge so wondering if I should change both at same time? The insulin has been in since Friday.

Thanks

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Cannulas you change every 3 days if Tethlon , Steel every 2 days and your cartridge either when empty or after 6 days at the most so they say. I just change when cartridge empty which is about 10 days for me and haven't noticed any change in the insulin when weather is warmer.

3. Lucie75

Lucie75 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You'll soon learn what works best for you. When I first started on my pump I religiously changed my set every 3 days and only changed the cartridge when it was empty, which may have been on day 4 or 5. I have learnt now how much insulin I generally use in a 3 day period and only draw up that amount so that I change both set and cartridge together every 3 days. My memory is shot to pieces anyway so having to do different things on different days just didn't work for me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CarbsRok

Wow Lucie, my commissioning group would shoot me if I wasted money by changing the cartridge every 3 days :eek:

5. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Mine wouldn't as I do re fill them again and only chuck them after about 4 re fills lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

By the accuchek bible (instructions for me). Works perfectly.
    Set change every 2 days;
    Insulin every 6 days, no matter what the weather.. I work outdoors and like today, working with pump on my arm in sunshine....no probs... However my pump is not covered by layers if clothes in this heat, don't know if this makes a difference...

7. CarbsRok

That's the best way to break your pump as the lubricant in the cartridge would have gone by then so it puts one heck of a strain on the pump when pushing the insulin through.

8. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

I was told by DSN to change the whole lot every 3 days no matter how much insulin is left. So that's what I do.

• Like Like x 4
  9. phil55494

phil55494 Type 1 · Active Member

Thankfully a 2ml cartridge lasts about 2 1/2 days. About as long as a cannula set for me. I have changed set more often though if it get irritated.

10. diabeticdancer

diabeticdancer · Well-Known Member

I do a site change every 2 days, and change the cartridge / insulin change every 4 days. The insulin can get hot through body heat and exercise too.

11. scoyyt57

scoyyt57 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Site every 3 days cartridge every 6

12. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

13. Dzialo

Dzialo · Well-Known Member

I change cartridge every 6 days but only fill half of it up

14. jazglo

jazglo · Member

I change everything every two days. Very sensitive skin.

15. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At the moment I change steel needles every 2-3 days, reservoir when I've run 3 ml through it which is about 9 days and one or two refills, at which point I demote it to emergency spare (carried) and chuck the old spare, and I change the tubes somewhere in between the two, but roughly every time I remove the reservoir to refill or replace it.

Today I had to do a battery change which was a bloody hassle while shepherding two small kids through lunch against a deadline to get them to an appointment. The manufacturers could possibly make the battery replacement sequence (Animas Vibe) more pointlessly complex, but it would take a massive effort.

• Like Like x 2
  16. JANROU

JANROU Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Like a lot roche accuk chek users I'm on site every 3 days cartridge very 6. However if there's a problem this time frame may be shortened.

17. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

Oh no, is it very complicated, apart from needing a coin to open it up for the battery? I haven't needed to change mine yet!

18. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The coin is the easy part. The hard part is, due to stupid design and no other good reason, you have to reset the whole pump as if you had done a reservoir change and set change, and it loses all current information like IOB, temp basal. Their helpful suggestion is to do a battery change at the same time as you are planning a full reservoir and set change. They fail to also suggest "five hours after your last bolus and make sure you are not feeling unwell or exercising". Muppets.

19. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

Oh no, I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to bear it in mind!

20. CarbsRok

Even though the IOB is missing you can see it in history so you know exactly when it was given :)
    I'm sure the old 2020 manual said to change the battery before a meal bolus. It only takes a couple of mins to change though even if it's a complete pain in the bumsical.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook