Pump location question

Fallenstar

Hi
I'm going on the course to get a pump fitted. I've been type 1 for 20 years.

I have very little abdomen fat and leg fat so my fast acting injected into these areas is FAST :wink: I do all injecting into my butt cheeks as it is the safest place for me. I have used upper arms but hit a vein twice, scary :shock: Do you need a good amount of subcutaneous fat for where the pump goes??

Does anyone on here have a pump in any other place than the abdomen? Can it be used any other place on the abdomen? It worry's me how uncomfortable it would be in my Butt cheek when I sleep.

:)

josie38

Hi,

Other members have said that they put the cannula into thighs and bums. You do get a choice of size of needle for the cannula. As i have a bit of fat i use 8mm but you can get 6mm. You can chose the length of tubing as well. One member puts them in her arm.

No you dont need a good amout of fat where the pump goes :D

Josie

Cheryl

I'm pretty slim. I always use my thigh as I can only use my tummy about 4 times before I run out of space as the previous sites haven't really healed yet. I use a teflon cannula which you insert between 30 & 60 degrees (accuchek tenderlink). This gives some flexibility as you decide how deep in it goes. The literature with my kit shows abdomen, top half of bum cheeks, thigh front & side & back of the upper arms as options for insertion. As Josie says there are quite a few different cannula type & length options, limited only by the pumps with which they're compatible.

DSNs always want you to use the abdomen as it's the fastest absorption option, but you're the one who has to wear it, so you decide what's best for you. They will probably have favoured suppliers too, so do your research & insist on the pump which will suit you, don't just accept their favourite. Most pumps are NICE approved, so if it is an approved device you can insist on that one.

I also read recently on this forum that one person had not been given all the accessories that came with their pump (remote control/glucose meter) as the DSN "didn't think they'd want them"! There's nothing like empowering the patient! I don't have a remote, I'd kill for one, it would make wearing the pump so much easier as it could go under my clothes & I wouldn't have to undress in the loo to bolus.

Good luck.

Fallenstar

Thank you Josie and Cheryl :D

That has put my mind at rest....I was diss-counting the pump all together last night due to feeling pessimistic about my lack of injection sites so you have both put my mind at rest.

Cheryl ,I realise I need to get armed and for warned on my pump options ,which I hope I will do with help of this informative site and kind posters like your self but could I ask which pump you use and why the DSN has not given you the remote? is it that your model does not come with a remote option?

Where do you store your set Cheryl if you use your thigh?

How do you find your thigh Cheryl when you sleep ,is it uncomfortable at all...I'm a side sleeper in the main so thought my butt might be the best area...also due to my fast absorption.
Thanks peeps for your time :)

Cheryl

It was Dragonflye who posted re the accessories issue on 8 August (not easy to provide you with a link when posting on my phone, but you can see the thread on page 1 of this forum).

As to where I store my set. I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry if I'm being thick.

Sleeping wise. I have no problem with discomfort while sleeping & sometimes wake up lying on my pump as I let it "hang loose" in the bed while I sleep. I too am a side sleeper. My mattress is medium-soft, but I also travel frequently for work & still have no problems with it digging in even in very hard hotel beds. I'm also a very light sleeper & it doesn't take much to wake me. So I doubt you'll notice it after the first few days.

I was very anti-pump before I got mine. To the point where after agreeing to give it a go with my doctor, the DSN didn't want to give it to me as I asked so many negative questions. However, though I am by no means a pump lover now, it hwhen you do rip it out by catching it on a door handle, it doesn't hurt more than removing a plaster, as become second nature to wear it & I wouldn't go back to MDI. If you can work through all the "how will I?" questions, then you'll put your mind at rest beforehand & can get on with getting to grups with the therapy itself. Once I'd sorted out how to wear it under a dress, realised that it doesn't fall out just cos I roll on it in bed, that I can take it off for a while for swimming, water skiing & wind surfing etc. it all becomes a bit easier to deal with.

Fallenstar

Hey Cheryl

I will read the accessories thread, infact I will have to have a good sit down and read as much as I can on here.

Sorry,it's not you being thick . It is my newbie terminology...set :lol: I meant the pump itself :oops: So during the day do you wear it in a pocket. My DSN is Type 1 herself so she is great, has a true understanding IYKWIM she has it in her abdomen and wears the pump in her bra...this would be no good for me.

I suppose it is trial and error, it is good to hear your personnel experiences of it and how you have found using it. And believe me I will be back with more questions so gird your loins :lol: But to hear the practical day to day functionality of actually wearing the pump is not too bad it fills me with hope.

Thanks C

Cheryl

I've answered your question on your other post. I'm no shrinking violet, so can deal with the odd question, but I also don't like being asked about it when someone does notice it as it's very personal. I am also vain (just a little) & don't like that it sticks out & forms a lump under my clothes. I can't wear really figure hugging dresses any more as it's impossible to hide completely, but when I was honest with myself, how often would I wear a posh dress anyway? Maybe twice a year, it's not such a big compromise overall.
I took a "pump holiday" the first time I went away on a beach/watersports holiday, but found going back to MDI very difficult as I couldn't just have a quick bolus with the press of a button every time I wanted an ice cream or fruity/sweet cocktail. Of course, holidays are the times when one really wants that flexibility. Last year, I kept it on throughout my watersports holiday & felt much more at ease. If people stare at it when I'm wearing a bikini, it's their problem, not mine.

Give it a go, if you hate it & decide to go back to MDI, you're not a failure, it doesn't suit everyone (and I never thought that it would suit me). The most important thing is to balance the need for good control against the need for you to run your own life, not let your diabetes run it for you. There's an middle ground to be found.
Good luck.

sugar2

Hi,

i wear the pump in various different places, depending on my mood, what I am wearing, where abouts teh cannula is etc. I have it in my pocket, when I wear jeans etc, sometinme I have it clipped to my belt (people assume it is a pager) sometimes stuffed in my bra, somwtimes, especially at noght, I have sewn a babies sock into my PJ trousers and pop the pump in there..loos a bit like a sporan, but it is not so bad. I also have a pouch, that fits to the bottom of my bra, and hangs below, it does make a lump under my clothes, but is not too bad. I haven't invested in a garter style belt for it yet... but this is becasue i have not been anywhere to wear a posh frock!

iHs

Hi

I nearly always put the pump (Combo) diagonal inside my bra cup which is padded. It doesn't bother me at all as I also slide it inside a towelling tube type baby sock. I can also anchor the sock underneath the middle of my bra by threading a piece of elastic through 2 holes in the sock and using a toggle clip to hold the sock in place.

Of a nightime I've now taken to putting the pump inside a chord fabric mobile phone wallet which has a velcro flap closure. I've made a hole in the corner of the wallet (hole punch), neatened using clear nail varnish so that it doesn't fray and put an MP3 chord elastic neckband through the hole. When I go to bed I just put the pump in the wallet and loop the neckband over my head. The pump is ok and I'm not disturbed by it.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter has the cannula sited on her butt, she uses the 6mm steel cannula. She says she can't feel it at all. She sits on it, sleeps, bounces around on trampolines, does rolly polys, all the sorts of juming and moving about that kids do and it doesn't bother her at all. She won't wear it on her tummy, but has never injected her tummy either, as she is concerned about how little fat there is to put the needle into. Wearing the cannula on her upper outer thigh works well too but she prefers her butt because then the cannula is hidden under her knickers, this is better if she's wearing short shorts or a swimming costume as it's less obvious for others to see.

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi!!!

Just been catching up with some posts!!! Cheryl commented earlier about me not getting all accessories... i would say it is essential to do research on pumps before you get 1, i must admit i didnt realise I could have chosen a different 1 before it was too late, i was just so happy to finally have got a pump after years of wanting 1 nor did I really look into what i should be getting!!

I personally insert the infussion set at the top of my bum, i have tried my stomach but didnt work there for me.

Normally during the day I just have it clipped to my trousers (i cant remember the last time i wore a dress or skirt) - it's not hidden and people have noticed but it personally doesnt bother me, my team at work all know I have diabetes and it comes in handy when my team leader is annoying me because I just threaten to change the infusion set at my desk (i wouldnt do that but it's funny to watch my team leader go green :D ).

Night time - ive slept with it roaming free a couple of times but usually clipped to pajama bottoms :)

Fallenstar

Thank you all :D

Sophia, great news your daughter is so active and has no problems with her cannula site, thanks for that info.

iHs , Some good tips there for nighttime I will keep them in mind

Sugar, I would find finding room in any of my bras :lol: a problem but underneath sound like an option thanks for that.

Dragonfly, I will take heed and check out the pump option's well, thanks for the heads up on that.

Cheryl, you are a star for all your info :D
I'm sure I will be back as my journey progresses .