Pump power

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This night be a silly question... But how is a pump powered? Is it like batteries?

I work offshore and would like a pump eventually I think, but we're not allowed anything electrical. So it could mean a career change :(

Need all my facts first!

Pepsi Max

Re: Pump power

Pump is powered by love & positive diabetic thoughts!! Ha kidding, yep it battery, aaa batteries.

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ah ok. Well I guess that might rule it out for me for a while then!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hale,

I routinely take a camera offshore for my work. As long as I have a gas detector with me outside of the accomodation and only change the battery in a safe area it's no problem, just needs to be done under PTW. I'm sure the right employer will look at the risk and quite rapidly see how easy it would be to manage

You haven't said exactly what you do offshore, or who you work for. PM me if you like and we can discuss - I work in EHS by the way.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm at BP. I was a production support engineer until I was diagnosed, now I'm stuck onshore at a desk until I can prove my control. Frustrating!

A pump is no time soon, it was just a suggestion from my consultant for pregnancy and I definitely like the idea.

BP have rules on who can use a camera, I'm currently not allowed etc etc more and more paperwork and hoops to jump through if they even will consider it. It will be a few years away anyway, I just want to know what I'm getting into!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Pump and bluetooth monitor both battery operated.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Have you researched the OGUK guidelines for being offshore with diabetes? I'm sure you probabaly have by now, you seem to be pretty switched on.

To me they seem to be about risk management not being restrictive. If your employer has invested quite a bit of time, effort adn money into your training they should really be looking at how they can make the best of your skills. One of the benefits of my job is that I get to see different operators, and I knwo that others let T1 diabetics offshore, but I don't know any pumpers specifically.

I hope you can manage to crack the bureaucracy.

I'll be up there in your offices in July for a couple of days by the way.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

We're allowed offshore, my colleague goes. But he's on MDI same as me and has been diabetic 23 years. I don't know any pump users which is what have me the hint it might not be an ideal route.

Yep been through the guidelines with Occ Health, and they also set their additional request that I complete DAFNE before my 6 months of proven control starts. Which I think would be very reasonable....if I didn't take so long to get a place! I've been allowed to skip the queue a bit as it is holding up my career so I'm on the list for November I believe.

It must be harder going through the operators? I was told the OIM and medic will be informed, that must get annoying each time!

Ill get offshore again eventually and will make a decision on a pump when I know whether I REALLY want it. I'm a graduate so career wise I can make the move to purely onshore without much hassle.

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(

I never considered how pumps may affect things before (I am aware that this is slightly off topic but may explain restrictions etc) . . . . . I recently bought a new induction hob cooker and had to have it ripped out my nice new kitchen .. . . . All because of my PUMP !!!!!! The induction cooker works off magnets, which in turn affect the pump.

so it may be that the pump is not advised due to the effects on the pump rather than the effects the pump may have . . . . If that makes sense :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Non- off topic at all - it's all good to know! You would just assume a pump would be great but in reality you need to make changes to accommodate it. The changes are probably worth it, but I guess that's up to the individual.

In my case I'd easily give up a hob. But am I willing to give up my current career path? Still debatable

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes..... We're producing oil and gas!

ElleDee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Dislikes
Having diabetes :-(

Nehhhh . . . . (That's my neither yes but neither no sound lol) . . . . . . Giving up a career path for anything is never an easy choice, but having lived with a pump now for over a year, if they said they were going to take it off me tomorrow, I'd probably turn up today to hand it back lol

Glucohero

That's probably why they wont allow unprotected electrical devices. Pumps are great though, give it some serious thought chum. Your employer may be able to help you out with it. I'd have a word with them. The pump is only powered by a small AAA battery so may well be deemed safe anyway
as it may not produce sufficient energy to cause a problem.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Only knowledge I have of batteries in the industry is as elydave said, under a permit. Bit of a pain when it will be a life dependant device!

I currently don't fit the guidelines for a pump, but consultant said if I was to be considering children in the future it's recommended. So we'll see!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

these pumps are IP rated and sealed for water immersion/splashing right?

If so, that should also prevent gas ingress, plus the low power rating on them, it should really be a non-issue. Perhaps you could get hold of some specs and have a chat with one of your process safety or electrical TAs?

Sorry, but I'm an EHS guy and this kind of thing really annoys me that we get focussed on risks like this that should be easily manageable and turn them into a multi headed bogeyman.

I'm off to invent a flameproof enclosure for an insulin pump, if you need me I'll be in the shed :D

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi Hale,
I've not been off shore yet but it's definitely been in the planning. As far as I know you can wear a pump off shore but I think it depends on exactly where you would be working. I'm Environmental/ oilfield micro so I mainly would be in the lab side of it and the waste part, not the actual oil producing bits. I know there will be more hoops and paper work to do but once you have the permits it's sorted. From talking to some of the other pumpers in Aberdeen who go off shore I think they also had to make sure that their pump was waterproof incase of helicopter ditching etc. If you ever wanted to have a look at mine since we're in the same neck of the woods feel free to ask. I would reccomend a pump even without wanting to have kids, much better control and lifestyle, for me anyways.
Laura