Pump Questions...

jameshallam

Hi all,

I've done a quick search, but still have a few questions about pump (specifically the Omnipod).

Background: I generally have good control, last hba1c was 7%, probably have 1 hypo a week which I recognise and deal with appropriately.
The problem is I suffer from the dawn effect and always have high BG in the morning. I moved from Lantus, to two daily doses of Insultard (15 @ 9pm, 7 @ 9am).
I can't increase my evening dose anymore, as I will have a night time hypo. I have done DAFNE and am quite good at carb counting & corrections etc.

I'm currently doing CGMS, wearing a small unit which should shed some light on what's happening over night. The consultant said if we can't fix my morning highs, I might have to move on to a pump. I don't mind wearing this small unit for a week, to help diagnose the problem, but im not sure I want to have a machine attached to me 24/7 for the rest of my life... I inject 5+ times a day, but for some reason this still seems more attractive to me than having a pump.

But I'm just doing a bit of research so I can have an informed discussion with my consultant when the time comes...

1. Do you still need to test your blood with a finger pricker, or does the pump do that as well?
2. Can you remove it for 5 mins a day to have a shower?
3. Can you remove it for 1 hr a day to go swimming?
4. Do you feel self conscious if on the beach with no shirt on? (Seems like a strange question, but I'm avoiding going to my local health club sauna whilst on this CGMS!)
5. Is it covered ont he NHS (I live in Greenwich, treated in Lewisham hospital)
6. Is it covered by private medical insurance (I have insurance through work)
7. Does the canula insertion hurt?
8. Can you control it with an iphone app rather than the machine they supply?

Also, if anyone else has been in a similar situation, I would appreciate their thoughts.

Cheers,
James

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Hi all,

I've done a quick search, but still have a few questions about pump (specifically the Omnipod).

Background: I generally have good control, last hba1c was 7%, probably have 1 hypo a week which I recognise and deal with appropriately.
The problem is I suffer from the dawn effect and always have high BG in the morning. I moved from Lantus, to two daily doses of Insultard (15 @ 9pm, 7 @ 9am).
I can't increase my evening dose anymore, as I will have a night time hypo. I have done DAFNE and am quite good at carb counting & corrections etc.

I'm currently doing CGMS, wearing a small unit which should shed some light on what's happening over night. The consultant said if we can't fix my morning highs, I might have to move on to a pump. I don't mind wearing this small unit for a week, to help diagnose the problem, but im not sure I want to have a machine attached to me 24/7 for the rest of my life... I inject 5+ times a day, but for some reason this still seems more attractive to me than having a pump.

But I'm just doing a bit of research so I can have an informed discussion with my consultant when the time comes...

1. Do you still need to test your blood with a finger pricker, or does the pump do that as well?
4. Do you feel self conscious if on the beach with no shirt on? (Seems like a strange question, but I'm avoiding going to my local health club sauna whilst on this CGMS!)

Also, if anyone else has been in a similar situation, I would appreciate their thoughts.

Cheers,
James
Hi,

I have the accu-chek combo pump, and it is the best decision ever! It has improved my control so much! And I prefer not having to inject! You hardly notice the pump is there! As for your questions;

1) Most pumps ( I believe) come with a glucose meter for instance mine does! I test my blood like normal enter the carbs that I am eating (if any) and then it works out how much insulin I need which is then delivered to my pump which obviously then gives me insulin.

2/3) Yes you can they say no longer than an hour is ok! :) All you have to do is put the pump in stop mood and disconnect it without taking the cannula out.

4) I wouldn't know about this but I wouldn't as it is helping me to live etc. And my nurse told me that other patients have told her that most people never notice it because it is so small so do not worry about that.

5) Yes it is covered on the NHS, your nurse/consultant will have to do a funding application form which can take a few weeks and you have to then be approved by the pump company but that also isn't a problem!

6)I think so, but I think you have to register your pump too with the company

7) Nope just feels exactly the same as giving an injection except you only change it every 2-3 days!

8) I am not too sure about that but I know mine doesn't.

Overall, the pump may not be for everyone but it has most certainly helped with my control and I too was suffering with quite a few highs!!

Good Luck :)

Nicola x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi all,

Yes

Up to an hour I was told.

Yes, many children do. I do when dog sitting.

I wear my pump on my arm. Just wear vest tshirts... Never personally bothered me.

Hospitals purchase them but you need to get insurance.

No idea.

Sometimes, but then you know its not going to work so put it somewhere else.. Normally you not feel it at all..at least, thats me with a stainless steel 6mm set.

Not with accuchek. If getting an accuchek its worth waiting for the new one coming out this year. The remote is brilliant...

I had DP on mdi, completely controllable on pump...

Cheers,
James

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

1) Yes you would need to test bg levels alot more than using pens (about 8 to 12 times per day on a pump)
2) Yes you can disconnect the tube on the pump from the infusion set to have a shower for about 1hr or a tiny bit more with no problems really to bg levels
3) You can remove it for 1hr to go swimmin
4) Do you feel self conscious of it on the beach? Some people do and some dont. You have to be careful of strong sunlight affecting the insulin in the pump and also sand and suntan lotion on the infusion set adhesive
5) If granted a pump, then the NHS CCG will pay the cost of funding. You will need to insure the pump for damage and theft. This can be done using home insurance companies under contents
6) No idea about private medical insurance.....INPUT might know so contact them
7) People imagine all sorts of tnings about inserting an infusion set but they are easy to insert and hurt no more than inserting an 8mm pen needle. Occasionally, mild discomfort can be felt when pressing on the set but unless it gets bad, the set is usually ok and doesn't need to be removed. Some people like the ease of using a set with a teflon cannula and others like the steel needle type
8) As yet there isnt an app on a mobile phone that can use bluetooth to connect to a pump. The only pumps that have remotes that look like mobile phones are the Cellnovo and the new Accu chek Insight. The Accu chek Combo has a bluetooth remote but its not mobile phone looking. The Omnipod also has a remote. The Dana R pump also has one.

Care has to be taken in todays situation regarding pumps only working with remotes that also need certain brands of teststrips. If a GP decides to restrict prescribing of strips, then unless a pump will work by using any bg meter and being able to manually enter the bg reading, then questions need to be asked prior to using the desired pump.

My reasons for using a pump were due to trying to control my bg levels to the target my GP advised, but it was not easy and a lot of worry about hypos, not only for myself, but also for my OH as he could see my bg levels dropping before I felt the symptoms.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Omnipod does not have to be removed is waterproof lasts 3 days then pod replaced. Has helped my control at night. Depends where you live what pumps your area uses. Mine was on nhs have to insure but covered on many house insurances. Uses a PDM to programme doses do blood tests and do adjustments. Hope this helps.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I asked this of my provider. The answer is basically no. The only way that it might be covered on work-based medical insurance is if the consultant recommended it and the CCG refused to pay. Even then, it seemed like a case by case basis.

Lexi_1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, Rude people, Snakes
I'm currently waiting for a pump so going through a similar thing to you.
I suffer from the dawn effect and have high bg's
I too at first was concerned about being attached to a machine for the rest of my life, but after doing the research I found out how flexible my life could be and how much more control I could have.

A lot of the pumps come with a remote, specifically the Cellnovo, the Accu-Check insight, the omnipod and a few others. the link below has a really good information list of all the pumps that seem to be available. A lot of the pumps are now waterproof so no need to take them off for swimming or a shower. If you want to go to the beach you can wear the pump on a leg or thigh so that no one would see if. but do be careful about the sunlight, sunscreen and sand. I'm not sure about the insurance sorry about that.

I think doing as much research as you can will help you decided, watch youtube videos too as there are lots about set changes and the devices themselves.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/Insulin-pumps.html

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on a pump nine years and it was the best thing I ever did, now it did take me two years to get used to the idea of wearing it. You can take it off for up to an hr at a time if u want it off longer mayb check your blood sugar and correct if necessary. I have a Medtronic pump with cgm so I calibrate that a min of 4 times a day with blood sugar readings. CGM seems to work better for me if I do more than two tests a day. I'm in Ireland and we are fully covered for the pump and all its consumables by the HSE. Private health insurance I don't know about but I don't think they do cover pumps. I don't feel self conscious wearing it, most people think its a pager and as for the cannula I'd say most don't even notice. Inserting infusion sets is quite easy and for me way less painful than injections. There is no app my pump does have a remote (the contour next glucometer) but we were advised using the remote as it doesn't take into account insulin on board and you can't use the bolus wizard with it.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Specific Omnipod answers (as that's what I have):

1. Yes. It has an integrated glucose monitor, so you don't need to carry a separate one, but no CGM (though there is talk of a collaboration with Dexcom at some stage).

2. No - Omnipod cannot be removed unless you are actually "between" pods. On the bright side, it doesn't need to be, because it is waterproof

3. As 2 - no, but you don't need to.

4. I don't at all - maybe I'm thick skinned, but most people don't even notice. Occasionally people have asked me about it, but mostly those are people with diabetes who are interested in maybe getting one. In any case, depending on what you are wearing, you can probably find a hidden site for it if that's what you want to do.

5. Yes - potentially at least. Where you are, you might want to consider Kings - they're supposed to be one of the best pump centres.

6. Unlikely, but depends on your insurance. Mine certainly wouldn't cover it, but since NHS has bought me mine, it doesn't matter.

7. Brief sting - nothing more.

8. Not yet, but I can't imagine it will be long!

9. Bonus info - I was in a similar position to you (and also had requirements relating to sport/activity that meant a pump would be better than MDI). I have had my Omnipod since Feb this year and it has been fabulous. I was also a bit twitchy about the idea of being attached to something and would probably still think twice about a tubed pump, but I love my Omnipod

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nicola,

This was very helpful. I am getting a pump and I am quite nervous about it. But I feel it'll help. Thanks for the information you provided :)

Nicola (also :p)