Pump start

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Hi!

I am a 28 year old female and I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 13.

Unfortunately over the years I have not received the best continuity of care and support, combined with the loss of my mother to cancer when I was 18, had lead to my diabetes control being pretty shambolic!

I became very ill and malnourished a few years ago and after a long time and numerous tests it was finally discovered that my exocrine pancreas had also stopped working- so my entire pancreas had given up on me! It was actually at Bournemouth hospital where this was finally found out and unfortunately I had already developed diabetic complications.

Basically Bournemouth Diabetes team has saved my life and although I have complications, I can now see a future ahead of me!

So that sums me up!

Anyway, on Tuesday I started an insulin pump induction and I have been given the pump and some cannulas to take home and have a play with! I do feel quite daunted about being connected on Monday. I keep hearing that the pump will change my life, but I think it's going to take some getting used to!

It has taken me a while to make this decision and I did have to be ready for it, because I know to get the benefits of pump therapy I will have to put the work in. Before I just wasn't really well enough to get my head around it and when I was shown the robotic boxes and tubes I just ran in the other direction!

I found it very helpful to meet someone who was already connected, to have a little chat about their experiences. Seeing the pump attached to someone was actually less scary for me than seeing all the equipment staring at me on a table!

I'm also beginning to realise that I am lucky to have been given this opportunity, as there are a lot of people out there wanting a pump.

I hope in time my hypo awareness will improve and my risk of further complications will decrease.

I'll let you know how it goes!

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Marmite-lover!!!

Well done on getting this far and sharing your experience of diabetes :) I fought and waited 5 years for my pump but it was still terrifying to start so I know how you feel about running the other way :lol: I wasn't prepared for how hard the change from MDI to pump would be so I must admit I wanted to chuck it all in for the first few weeks. However they say give it 6 months and now, almost a year on, I wouldn't be without my pump. It's not perfect and I've had my share of issues with it but the BG levels I have these days would never be possible on MDI.

I also have complications, although in my case mainly due to an NHS blunder during my treatment, so I'm also hoping to keep any further problems at bay with my pump.

Good luck - you''ll be fine and we're always happy to help with anything on here so if you need any advice on anything just shout :D

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Dear MushyPeaBrain

Thank you so much for your reply! It is very kind of you to offer your support.

I'm sorry you have had a rough time, but I'm really glad to hear your pump is making a positive difference to your diabetes control.

Throughout the years as a diabetic I have felt very isolated and alone, so it's great to be able to chat to other diabetics! I'm sure now I've joined the Diabetes.uk forum I'll be on here quite a bit..!

Thanks again
x

Unicornz

Hi Marmite-lover!

Sorry to hear you've gone through such a rough patch. I too have felt very isolated and alone for years when I was diagnosed. I also never really learnt to accept my diagnosis until the beginning of this year. This has led to me ending up with retinopathy, but hopefully I can reduce the change of that developing further since going on the pump!

I've been on one since March now, so just about half a year, and I couldn't imagine a life without it. Back in the Netherlands (I moved over to England just over a year ago; I'm originally Dutch!) I was advised to go on the pump a few times before, but like you, I've always ran a mile in the other direction at the thought of it!

Then came the point that I realised that I just wasn't going to get things under control on MDI, and I was getting so desperate that I decided to give it a go. I have to admit it's the best thing I've ever done! I saw improvement immediately and my HbA1C has come down nicely already!

The first day I was connected I had to keep feeling if I still had it on me because I didn't even notice it! It can be a bit frustrating the first few months when your body gets used to it and you are figuring out the right settings for your background insulin and your ratios, but that will all soon settle down.

Looking forward to hearing how things go for you! We are all here if you need us :)

Marmite-lover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Snakes and pomegranates!
Thank you so much Unicornz!

That's very encouraging to hear!

I'm really glad your diabetes management is much better with your pump!

It's great to hear from people who have also felt scared, but are now doing so well! I think I am almost starting to feel-dare I say-slightly excited about being connected on Monday! :)

It is so kind of people on the forum to offer their support.

Thanks again

x

melitus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Marmite-lover,

I hope you don't mind but your post about exocrine pancreatic inefficiency caught my eye. I have recently been diagnosed with this after a year of abdominal bloating, diarrhea weakness and fatigue. I have been tested 3 times for coeliac and also c difficile (due to prolonged antibiotic use) these were all negative. Needless to say my BG control has been shocking too(i am also a type 1 for 17 years). I am now taking creon and have had an abdominal scan to rule out cancers. My pancreas is severely atrophied and i am awaiting an appointment with my endo consultant to discuss where I go from here and to understand why this has happened.
Anyhow searching the web for research and reports about EPI It appears that over 50% of type 1's have EPI... I happen to know 20 T1's and none of them have EPI or have even heard of it. It would seem that there are a number of theories about the causes of EPI but nothing conclusive. I have searched sites like this for EPI, creon and exocrine etc.... but yours is the only post that refers to this.
I am having a bad time with the creon ,my gp doesnt know a great deal about EPI and i have not got another appointment with the gastro until April 18th. I am tearing my hair out a little right now and wondered if you are willing to chat about your experiences and whether you're on top of managing your EPI what makes it worse etc?

I would be pleased to hear from you

My kind regards

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Melitus,
It might be an idea if you PM because she may not see that post if she's not on the forum much if she gets a PM then she'll get an email notification. I've never heard of epi either, I hope you manage to get a response, soon.
Laura

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Melitus :) You need to have 5 posts before you can PM, so get writing :D

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Marmite-lover

I switched to a pump about a year ago (also with Bournemouth), after 42 years on injections, the consultants and staff are amazing and I'm sure they will help you to make the journey with ease.

It took me a while to get used to being "connected" and the effort you have to put in to get it right and understand how it all works for you is not insignificant but I found it so worthwhile, I would not go back to injections.

Keep well and hope it also works well for you too.