Pump training what to expect?

Kelsie

Hi everyone,
After what has felt like a v v long wait (it probably wasn't really, I'm just impatient :p ) I get my Roche insight pump on Tuesday and can't wait! I have to go to a group training session for a couple hours next Tuesday and the Tuesday after. I was just wondering what to expect in the training and for the first few days after? I think I've been so excited for so long that I haven't actually thought about smaller things like sleeping with it etc? I don't wear pjs or anything to bed, where do people put their pump when sleeping? I can imagine the first few nights will be restless with getting used to this thing being attached to me but I'm looking forward to hopefully getting better control :)
Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great news :)

They just go through all the options that the pump has to offer and show you how to use and wear one, also covering some of the points you've mentioned above. At the pump training its a good opportunity to ask anything that you may not be sure of, so make a list over the weekend and take it with you on Tuesday. Good luck and hope all goes well Kelsie.

Reactions: 2 people

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just keep mine in the bed next to me, you soon get used to it and can't imagine life without it. I do find the longer insets better though because I'm a real clutz and dropping it can be a bit sore on the shorter length tubing:nurse:

iHs

The thing with keeping the pump next to you, is that if you get out of bed and forget the pump, the pump will follow you and fall to the floor and hopefully if the tube is long enough, it will just thump on the carpet, but if the tube is not long and the set is on yr tummy, what may happen is that the set might come out with the force of the pump landing on the floor. So......make sure that you grab the pump before you get up.

Ive always played safe and had the pump in a baby sock so that it wouldnt come out and made a hole in the toe part and thread some thin elastic through the hole to form a necklace loop with a knot and just hung the pump around my neck so that if I got up, the pump was with me. This works ok with the short and 60cm tubes. If you dont fancy that, get the 100cm ones and just remember to pick the pump up.

You should be fine with the Flexlink sets as they are very easy to insert so dont worry about that bit.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
On arm permanently. Never worry about it... Just remove to have baths and time set changes etc around my baths.
Never bothers me sleeping as there is no chance of it getting any where.
I have 100cm tubes and tubigrip to hold on my arm. Sets go in my bum.
You Can only do this if you have a fully functioning pump ... And handset ie the Insight pump.
I wear skorts and sports tops in summer and it never bothers me as the tubes with Insight pump are positioned perfectly to wear on arm - and tube is snug as a bug under skintight clothes or baggy clothes.