Pumping Costs

albannach2

Hi, I am new to the pumping world so far, I don't have one yet, but am hoping I can soon through my health authority, but we shall see. Can anyone give me advice on how much the supplies are each month, is it only the infusion costs that you need to buy? Trying to work out rough costs and if its worth pursuing - would you recommend pumping? Hear from you soon, thanks

VerityJ

Hi. I've been puming since January this year. It is fantastic. I was lucky enough to get one funded through the PCT (Primary Care Trust) because I had hypo unawareness. If you are lucky enough to get it funded, you will not have to pay for anything as far as I am aware. My sets etc. are all funded too. If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask.

Verity

albannach2

Hi Verity, thanks for the info, worth knowing. I am having serious disabling type of hypos plus I've lost my awareness of them coming, life's a bit of a nightmare at the mo as my levels have got used to be at about 1.5 for a hypo, not great :)) Are there any disadvantages you've found so far, where do you put it when you sleep? :D

VerityJ

I was initially dreading having something connected to me 24/7 but you get use to it very quickly. I just lay it in the bed next to me during the night and it doesn't disburb me. Even if you lay on it, it really isn't a problem. I can't think of one single reason of not wanting it. My HBA1C has come donw from 11.9 to 8.4 and still working on it and my hypo signs have now come back. I am sure if you push for the pump you will never look back.
Verity

albannach2

Hi, thanks to both for your responses. Really useful to know, I'm simply fed up of having hypos with no notice really, and am hoping the pump will bring back my awareness. I have a meeting at my hospital in September, so fingers crossed. Out of interest, did it take you long to get used to it?

albannach2

Hey, half a day ... wow now I'm really keen. I see you use a Cozmo, have you used many types before deciding on that one, is there much difference between them? Ive taken a look at the websites but its hard to know which one is better from a novice point of view, any advice gratefully received.