Pumps and meters

Type1Jim

Hi there,

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 17 years now. The technology has changed so much over that time. I now have a pump (Medtronic) which has made a big difference. Has anyone tried the Omnipod?

I also now use the GlucoMen LX PLUS blood glucose meter as it also measures blood ketones. Until 3-4 years ago I had not even heard about the dangers of DKA and high blood sugars. This meter puts my mind at ease. You can even get one free from their website or customer service team.

Thanks

gwyn

hi
i have been diabetic for 52 years. I have just started using the omnipod. Early days trying to get the basals correct at present. I have a dietican and diabetic nurse whom I can ring daily or email. They are really great and have told me lots of things that make sense now. I have read that no matter what pump you use it takes a little while to settle. This is my first pump ever. I heard about it all from an american friend over ten years ago. I was having terrible problems with my long acting. constant hypos on lantus and the levemir causes highs and very lows during the night. I had 4 consultant changes over the years saying welll it might be a good idea but nothing happened and even though my hbaic has always been 7 or 7.1 for many years. I lost my lower left leg due to the neuropathy and and a little red mark that would not go away on my big toe that was 4 years ago. I had my 5th consultant who immediately sent me to addenbrooks in cambrige. Even though this has happen to me I have waited so long for this pump I am determined to make it work.
What I like about it at the moment is no wires. It probably does the same as other insulin pumps but I can adjust different basal rates and times to keep my night time problems stopping which they have and the joy of being able to slow your basal or bolus rates down for different lengths of time helps enormously if your going for a walk or if your blood glucose reads 4 at breakfast you can delay percentages of your insulin so you do not end up having hypos. I must admit when choosing the pumps I was very concerned about the ones with wires especially as I have grand children all very young. It is also very small and discreet. A couple of items I do not like are the bips it makes are not very loud either that or my hearings going and the other is where you view the cannula to make sure its in, you really have to look through the view finder carefully. Usually I wait till I spot a tiny red mark but I do think the manufactureres should review that better. I have to get my pods straight from the company but one phone call and I have three boxes and all the batteries required free of charge the next day the test strips and insulin comes from the doctor free. It ws also very strange going back to the days of filling up your syringes using insulin vials.The pods usualy last three days. If you go on utube and put in omnipod you will see a gentleman demonstrating it. Sorry if I have gone on for long but I hope this helps. Hopefully be in touch soon to let you know how things are if you like

agold

Gwyn, could you tell me whether your PCT agreed to fund this pump immediately, or did you have lots of problems convincing them it was worth the money? Did your diabetes clinic give you a choice of pumps then? And which PCT are you under? I've been approved for funding of a pump, but my PCT have refused to fund the Omnipod at this stage. I now have to write a letter to the Chief Exec to convince them to fund it for me! It would be so useful to know which other PCTs/clinics are funding it and whether they are giving their patients a choice.
Thanks!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Type1Jim said:
This meter puts my mind at ease. You can even get one free from their website or customer service team.

Thanks Jim I'll give them a ring :thumbup: