1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pumps

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by pj09, Jun 29, 2012.

1. pj09

pj09 · Member

Has anyone one got a pump and if so how good is it and how has it helped with your (their) diabetes. :)

2. jopar

jopar · Well-Known Member

A pump isn't a plug and go kit, It's only has good as the user.

Carb counting is the bases behind a pump, it all works from this theory, the bolus wizards can help to advise you what dose of insulin you might need at any point, but wizard's are only as good as the information that is programmed into them..

Pumps don't negate the need to manage, if the control issues is based on the lack of willingness to manage (i,e bg testing) or problems due to lack of knowledge how to manage diabetes, i,e don't understand carb counting etc...

However if the individual is proactive with management, but still have problems because of the lack of ability of injections to provide the right amount of fine tuning, or perhaps their exercise regimes, daily routines have large variations so makes the limitations of injections hard going to adapted to changes quickly etc,

Then pumps will do what it says on the tin!

I do have a pump, and for me it does what it says of the tin...

3. mohana

mohana · Newbie

Hi we have installed a pump for my 10 year old son in May and so far he is doing pretty good as pointed u have to take sugar reading atleast 3 a day to administer insulin but once u get used to it its pretty easy and routine not an issue. Have no doubts. Iam in India Dehradun and son has got a ACCU-CHECK COMBO INSULIN PUMP.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook