Pumps

niknak15

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing unexplained hypos over the last few months, testing every 2 hours, carb counting is fine etc. my nurse feels that I should consider a pump as it would hopefully give me better control etc.

I don't know anyone with a pump. Hoping for some input from those who know best!! I have worn a sensor before for a week do aware of the cannula etc.

Thanks guys!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had problems with hypos and went on the pump and now would never ever go back on injections. I've been on a pump for 8 years however it's not an easy option id say for the first year and a half you'll hate it and find it hard but then after that life does get easier but the pump doesn't so everything for you so you still need to work hard.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pump is great and would make a big difference to any type 1 diabetic, it does take some work though, but for diabetics who already carb count and are actively trying to manage their blood sugars a pump would be no issue.

I don't know if I would recommend one just because you have had a handful of unexplained hypos, you would need to be having lots of hypos, dawn phenomenon etc to be considered usually.

When have you been having the hypos?

What did you do to tackle them?

If your nurse has said you should consider that may mean your clinic and consultant could be PRO pumps and you might not have to fight too hard for one, so definitely worth inquiring about....

;)

niknak15

They happen at random times of the day, having 6+ a week. They have said they don't know what else to do with me and a pump is the only avenue we haven't explored. It's been happening for over 2 years. I wore a sensor for a while and they couldn't work out why the hypos are happening

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
that's strange but not unheard of........

in the last few days when have the hypos occurred.....?

normally if there a multiple hypos over a day you could assume it was a background insulin issue.....

have you tested and/or changed that dose recently.......?

even with a pump there will need to be some kind of pattern established in order to program in your basal rates..

have you had any digestion problems before?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

The pump is fantastic and it has really improved my standard of life. I have been using the pump for almost 5years (tomorrow!).

Prior to the pump my HbA1c was appalling 14.3% I'm surprised I wasn't dead with the way I was being irresponsible and ignoring my health!!

I got sent a letter from my Dr asking me to participate in a clinical trial involving either carb counting and injecting or carb counting and using an insulin pump the point was to see if tighter control could be gained using a pump.

My results drastically changed in a short space of time, I did the study for 9 months and at the end my HbA1c had come down to 7.2% which was amazing! It also made me take control of my diabetes and gave me a lot more independence and flexibility.

I must admit however it wasn't easy to start with and there was a trial and error period but once my rates were correct it was fine it's like second nature now!!

This is definitely worth exploring with your DSN.. I know I can't imagine going back to injecting now!

Good luck in whatever you decide!

niknak15

Sometimes I hypo during the night, sometimes straight after a meal, quick acting had been ruled as the cause as the pre blood result, carbs eaten and dose are all correct. There's no trend they just happen. There was a suggestion that it could be emotional, reaction to stress, sometimes if I get excited or happy about something I hypo, very annoying but willing to try anything to stop them! My son is 14 months and he had a stroke and suffocated himself at 37 weeks gestation, believed to be caused by me having hypos and the fluctuation of insulin and carbs which made him a big baby. He has a weakness on one side. We would like another, but not until I've got the hypos sorted.

I know a pump isn't a quick fix and from what I've read it's hard work. But I've got to get it under control :)

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely go for the pump, from what I have looked into it will help with better control and all that fine tuning which should help avoid hypos and highs (I am in the process and waiting for one having looked into it I am convinced now that it is the way for the best control). Whilst I wait I have gone onto CGM - I have to self fund 'cos at the moment I can't get funding, but in just 2 weeks I have adjusted my doses loads and I am having less hypos (some because I see them coming, and others just because I can see what is going on clearer and sorted out my doses) - the best is that it wakes me before any hypos in the night and alerts me before they get bad. It is really expensive, (about 1000 initial outlay and then 180 ever 1-2 mths) but it would be worth investigating whether your hospital can loan you one or anything like that to help you work out what is going on and avoid the nasty ones too (Gary Schiner has done some web things on CGM and written a book called How to Think Like a Pancreas which might well be useful (that isn't just about CGM but pumps and all that stuff too) - I find him easy to listen to and he makes sense from my experiences too - he described CGM as like a bowling ally where you have the bumpers up so you could stop sugars bumping out too far either way - so if your are a tech girl that might be another route worth exploring). Wishing you all the best with it.

Reactions: 2 people

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds great niknak15 - I think it will really help you get a handle on it all. I am quite excited (how sad am I :)) about getting a pump with my cgm and learning those fine adjustments which I think will help. I wish this stuff was all around when I had my 2, I was just on 4 finger sticks a day, some before meals and some after, but once you have experienced CGM you realise how blind you are to most of what goes on with your sugar levels. I'm not sure whether it is just me, but I found that it took quite a while for my sugars to settle down after having kids - partly due to feeding them, but still several months after I stopped doing that as all your hormones sort themselves out - I think it takes longer for our bodies to recover from the whole process than we think - obviously just my experience and I have nothing medical to back that up at all!