Gazza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The wind
Hi guys.
Having been aT1 for many, many years Ive run out of places to inject. Would a pump be considered for this? I dont really know much about them being a bit Old Skool. Tried to do some maths to work out how many insulin injections Ive had - but lost count!! 18 yrs at 2 a day, 29 years at 4 a day plus other extras!! Think a pump would be quite nice, maybe Im on the wrong track. Some simple, basic info or a good website would be appreciated.

Steveee

Hi Gazza,

There is a lot of NICE guidance on who can be put on the pump. It basically boils down to the requirement that the existing multiple injection therapy is failing, e.g. rising HbA1c despite the patients attempts to bring it under control.

Using a pump does mean a lot of work has to be put in by you. :shock: To go on to a pump means you have to carbohydrate count. This means you adjust your insulin doses based on what you are eating and what you are doing. This does mean that pump candidates normally have to undertake some form of carb counting course before they can be issued a pump, e.g. Bertie or Dafne. :wink: Also it's not just about attending, you have to complete it and understand it. This is not for everyone.

I have been on a pump now for nearly 3 years. It does work for me. My HbA1c has dropped to 6.9, but it means that I have to be accurate on carbohydrate counts. Being 10gms out means my bg goes up by 3! It also means overestimating by 10gms means a hypo. I have started Diabetes Friendly Dining to try and make eating out easier.

Good luck. I have found that the pump has made life much more flexible and it really is worth the effort.

Gazza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The wind
Thanks for that info Steve. Attending a Dafne course is something Ive considered before - but having had T1 for so long, I tend to follow the Dafne regime anyway - my own version of it. I know this is a bit naughty but I havent any major health probs, and according to the clinic am unlikely to now. Maybe a pump isnt for me - Id just like a day without injections :lol: to know what its like!

scottishkate

I think it depends on where you are. My Hba1c before getting a pump was 6.5 so pretty good but I felt I could get it tighter on a pump. So I explained to my consltant that I wanted one, he put me on a waiting list and 8 months later I got it. Didn't attend a DAFNE course because I taught myself how to carb count etc and I dodn't fancy doing a 'group' thing. Simple!

I low carb (under 40g carb per day) and with that and the pump I find I have great control now - last hba1c was 6.0 so going in the right direction! And it's great not doing injections anymore - 20 years of injecting four times a day into my thighs was beginning to take it's toll!

Katie.

Steveee

Hi Gazza,

Sorry if what I said about Dafne was misleading. :( Dafne is not just about carb counting. The other part that is important when starting to use the pump is to "determine the amount of insulin you require to cover the amount of carbohydrate in the food you are about to eat." This is of use whether you are using a pump or not.

When I learnt carb counting 40 years ago, I did not learn things such as insulin/carb ratio. Now I am on a pump I learnt that my insulin carb ratio is 1u to 11gms CHO. Also 1u of insulin drops my BG by 3. This will be different when injecting because of other effects, e.g. pooling. When armed with this info, you can make adjustments to insulin depending on the meal you are eating.

Initially this seems complicated and sometimes frustrating, but long term, as said by Katie, there are both medical and social benefits.

Hope this helps. :wink: