PUPPIES!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hang on Mods before you shift this!

Not been on the forum much due to the arrival of two pups and serious sleep deprivation.

I will post in the chat forum but first I have to muck around with the photos on my phone which are too large to upload.

Anyhoo. I was looking into raw feeding. Bad feeling about kibble and over-processed tinned dog food.

One of the FAQs on one site was "why is my dog always hungry after feeding raw". The answer given explained that the dogs were used to being full of the carbohydrates used as fillers in the processed dog food. In time they would get used to using the raw diet as a source of fuel.

Dogs go keto!

Whilst we were researching raw feeding, one of the pups refused to eat his kibble so decision made. First full day on raw and feeding is a breeze, they don't come up for air until the dish is clean.

So my point is: it's not just us that is affected by big food and big pharma. These ******* are everywhere. I was told my diabetic dog used carbs in a different way to humans. BS.

Everything I read/discover only reinforces the belief that low carb/keto is the answer to everything! Trying to figure out how it can be used to solve Brexit.

Now I am going to crash

[Edited by mod for thinly disguised profanity'ish.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that you mention it. I remember when I was a kid, we gave the dogs raw horse meat. And just a few biscuits. The horse meat being the largest portion of the diet. That was back in the 60s. I was very surprised to see that has changed in recent years, judging by what is on the supermarket shelves these days.

Reactions: xfieldok

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Apparently, dogs have a surprisingly similar digestive system to humans. There are some important differences but on the whole...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Puppies! You lucky thing!!!!! Good luck with the sleep deprivation.

I agree that some dogs have issues with commercial dog foods.

I've got Two Labradors (3 and 10) and a Labradoodle (6) and mainly feed them on cooked meats and home made dog biscuits and they really thrive on it.

When the youngest Lab came to live with us (at a year old) he was in Pedigree Chum wet food with dry mixer. He exhibited behaviours that made me wonder if he was diabetic - he drank a lot, tiddled a lot and couldn't hold his pee and what he tiddled smelled sweet and strong (yeah, TMI). He was also a monster dog - chewing, fighting, unsociable, aggressive (plus lots of other unacceptable behaviour that involved shampooing the carpets).

I tested him with my meter and all seemed okay so didn't take him to the vet for tests but did a slow transition to our other dogs ' mainly meat based diet and after a few months noticed that all the behaviours went away. On the odd occasion that he has two meals of 'complete ' dog food one after the other he goes right back to being the monster dog he was when he moved in.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Not been on the forum much due to the arrival of two pups and serious sleep deprivation.

I will post in the chat forum but first I have to muck around with the photos on my phone which are too large to upload.

Anyhoo. I was looking into raw feeding. Bad feeling about kibble and over-processed tinned dog food.

One of the FAQs on one site was "why is my dog always hungry after feeding raw". The answer given explained that the dogs were used to being full of the carbohydrates used as fillers in the processed dog food. In time they would get used to using the raw diet as a source of fuel.

Dogs go keto!

Whilst we were researching raw feeding, one of the pups refused to eat his kibble so decision made. First full day on raw and feeding is a breeze, they don't come up for air until the dish is clean.

So my point is: it's not just us that is affected by big food and big pharma. These ******* are everywhere. I was told my diabetic dog used carbs in a different way to humans. BS.

Everything I read/discover only reinforces the belief that low carb/keto is the answer to everything! Trying to figure out how it can be used to solve Brexit.

Now I am going to crash
emoji42.png

I feel (from experince know.) that carbs for a diabetic dog that is insulin dependant is not an option to omit... & tricky one to balance. I believe from memory, that the U40 strength insulin regime for cats & dogs is not unlike the early regimes for humans before MDI. So regular feeding times with sufficient carb intake was vital for the dose...

My old boss had a T1 Jack Russel. Many years ago. Lol, he consulted me regarding the hound's diet at the time. It was always running high. (He was chasing the dog round the garden with pee test strips.)
We trimmed back it's carbs coupled with the insulin dosage directed by the vet, after working out what was in the tin coupled with a "mixer."
I also seen the dog low too.. Poor animal was staggering about headbutting the water bowl & door. Not easy.

Edited also to add, they are omnivores. But prefer the protien. (With reference to a non D dog.)
Pet food companies. Do pander to the humans perception & transference of "anamorphic" tendencies... To the animal's detriment. Humans are the "business" spending money on this stuff.. ;)

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Dogs go keto!

Now I am going to crash

Thank you Mods, put it down to sleep deprevations with my apologies :)

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Mods, put it down to sleep deprevations with my apologies :)

No problems. Lol, there is enough threads regarding diatary lab tests on mice.. ;)

I wouldn't disagree that a dog's diatary requirements maybe similar to that of early man's. Which from some sources may have helped develope our evolution?
Though I'm rooting for the Dolphins as next in line... :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to muck around with the photos on my phone which are too large to upload.
Keep working on it I really want, no, need to see puppies!

I'm an idiot with technology but I found a fool proof way to get photo's on the forum is first post them on facebook and then copy-paste. Only works if you use facebook of course.

Good luck with the sleeping!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep working on it I really want, no, need to see puppies!

I'm an idiot with technology but I found a fool proof way to get photo's on the forum is first post them on facebook and then copy-paste. Only works if you use facebook of course.

Good luck with the sleeping!
Thanks I will try it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Wow, many, many thanks. :):)You must be a witch because I was going to ask you and the others on diabetics R us how you all posted your photos. It was such a hassle to use the various photo websites. Just tried your suggestion and hey presto, a picture of my Ness when she was a baby, on her first day with us.

10891903_904896419592639_946165479043176450_n.jpg

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cute or what! The house is full of crates and puppy pens, I see you've been there, done that

Reactions: 1spuds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cute or what! The house is full of crates and puppy pens, I see you've been there, done that

Oh yes ..... 71 years of being surrounded by dogs of one sort or another, mostly boxers but as we got older we had to downsize, which was a big wrench.

Reactions: 1spuds

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't seem to do the Facebook thing on my phone, will try on the pc later.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't seem to do the Facebook thing on my phone, will try on the pc later.
I use a web browser to go on fb on my phone and post a picture directly from my phone on fb. I then log in on both fb and DCUK on pc to do the rest, as I don't understand how to copy-paste a picture on my phone. Hey, as long as it works :p

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, many, many thanks. :):)You must be a witch because I was going to ask you and the others on diabetics R us how you all posted your photos. It was such a hassle to use the various photo websites. Just tried your suggestion and hey presto, a picture of my Ness when she was a baby, on her first day with us.
Thanks, wonderful to help someone out with stuff I don't understand myself :p
The only thing with this method is that I sometimes need to post things on fb I don't want to post there, but if that's the case I simply delete it as soon as I copied it :)

edit: Love the puppy picture!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope still not working for me, I have far fewer options on the phone, I will check the pc this evening.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, wonderful to help someone out with stuff I don't understand myself :p
The only thing with this method is that I sometimes need to post things on fb I don't want to post there, but if that's the case I simply delete it as soon as I copied it :)

edit: Love the puppy picture!

I will post on FB, copy, then delete from FB before anyone has time to see it, then paste to DCUK!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Dogs go keto!

Now I am going to crash

I love the mod's edit.